i am a pede noob.

B-rain

Arachnopeon
I plan on buying one very soon, probly the Scolopendra subspinipes (malasyin giant i believe) and well i was wondering if you folks had any input on the type, and how humid i would have to keep it, Ive been reading about them (pedes) in general for the last month or so, and well im going to buy so id just like to have some help and make sure i can keep a happy, healthy pede. hmm also feeding how much would i feed it? once a day or like a few times a week. Thank you in advance to anyone that will help me!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Malayian Giant.Mine is about 8-1/2".She is pretty aggressive and
fast.I feed mine a couple times a week and i'll feed her couple of large cricket
or a med large roach.But most people feed them once a week.The M.G. not 1 of
favorites.But there still a great pede.There are are alot of better pedes for a
first timer.Like S.Heros or Florida S.Alternans.But buy what you like.Because
you have it for a long time.Unless you get an old giant.Than thay might not last
as long.Old large pedes are impressive.But I would advise you to get a medium
size pede with some life left in it.Why buy a 10" Malaysian giant.When it might
only live for 6 months or a year.But If you buy a nice 7" M.G. it may live 4 or
5 years and you get your money out of it.Remember bigger isn't always better.

B-rain

Arachnopeon
yea,

i was planing on getting a sub adult so it would have some years in it, and i would like to watch it grow. But i had seen you posted a picture of one of the S.Alternans a florida one and it looks very cool.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hay B-rain the florida S.A. is a large robust pede that is easy to care for and
thay live a long time.What ever pede you get.I think your really going to like it.
Alot of people don't realize that we have some great pedes in the United States.

B-rain

Arachnopeon
well i am still young and would like to have this hobby for some years so ill hopefully own them from all across the globe!!!

german shepard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey B-rain, Welcome to the Pede addiction! Like Satellite Rob stated in the previous thread, there are indeed alot of great looking centipedes in the US. I would suggest checking out the Heros family, Heros Heros, Heros Castinecips, and my personnal favorite the Heros Arizonesis. Another larger species to look at is the Scolopendra Alternans, I have a couple both pushing 8". If you want giants, I suggest Chinese and/or Thai Giants. Again I have one of each both close to 9-10". But a word of caution, these are much more high strung and aggressive than the Heros family. At least they are in my collection. If you can locate and find them, a Chinese Tiger Leg (have a 7" er) is in my estimate one of the most attractive in coloration. So buy & enjoy and again welcome to the "Pede Club". german shepard (Marty)

B-rain

Arachnopeon
Well thank you folks for the help, and yes the heros do look amazing. (i am planning on already buying a second so ima think a dry enviroment pede) And i apreciate all the help i got from you guys, But i will definatley post pictures when i get em in the mail (looked all over town,, and not a one around here of any species). but yes again thank you and I appreciate you guys not being mean or what not and accepting a newb into the pede community!!

--Brian (aint i clever with the name choice)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nice plant life- whatcha got in there? Looks like some kinda ground cover?

B-rain

Arachnopeon
uhm the foliage

it is some sort of creeping flowering plant, i was reading about stuff that like humidty and not to much light and found it at a wall mart for 3 bux, i also have uhm some kinda tall palm looking things, ill try and post a pic in the morning see if the pedes up so it aint just a blank palet. But i think it looks pretty neat myself.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thanks B-rain. I tried soil dwelling orchids when I had a good source of outdoor light & they thrived, but then I moved. Would love to see some more pix. I originally got into 'pedes because the vivarium idea was so appealing, but then got overwhelmed by the availability of different creatures & planting fell by the wayside. I've also had tose sneaky dubia devour my plants when I wasn't looking:mad: I smile an evil smile everytime one gets crunched by a 'pede now.

B-rain

Arachnopeon
Well thank you for taking an intrest in my tank!, uhm its a 20 gallon and i took this right after work, i am a little ahead of the creeping plant and above it, the pede lives under that uhm "tree" there on the right. Yea he spends alota the day under it, and i don't blame him its a sweet log type thing.

Attachments

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Cool. I was using those same plants(can't remember what they're called). The dubias would hide near the root systems during the day, if not immediately eaten, then come out at night and eat the vegetation.