pede mating vid

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoa!!! REALLY thanks for posting! Your vid inspired me to the point that I for the heck of it threw my S.heros castaneiceps with my arizonensis and walah!!!!!

Foreplay:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-9PwnHZcns&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-9PwnHZcns&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Constructing sperm web:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BzTkf8tL1dg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BzTkf8tL1dg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Female picking up spermatophore:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fudgw2Y9ARQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fudgw2Y9ARQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The male is trying to construct a burrow system where he can leave a spermatophore for the female to follow behind and pick up in the first clip. Unfortunately the coco kept on collapsing and so I threw in a few pieces of cork bark which helped A LOT as you can see by the later videos. Thanks Galapoheros for your post lol I am not trying to hijack your thread but it was because of you I decided to throw them together!!!! :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
HA! That was awesome! She looked a lot more desperate than this female I saw breed, they got in a fight at first. What kind of vid camera do you have?, the vid quality from mine is horrible compared to what most other people's vids. Now if we can just get some plings! I have a good idea of what they would look like, all except the red head along with the black head:? , don't know how that would come out. A waiting game till next year now... Where did you get those round containers. I only found one kind of like it and then they stopped carrying them. Maybe other people will start trying it more with their pedes. When fights have broken out, I've used chopsticks and tongs to pull them apart. Sometimes they get hurt pretty bad but they are good at healing up from bad injuries. I've never had one die from a fight yet.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually they never fought until after mating, but it was usually just a quick terminal slap then they would flee from eachother until I separated them. I do have a nicer video camera but those videos I just posted were made using my digital camera. The round containers are the largest size of clear, pre-punched containers that superiorenterprise.com has. They work spectacularly for just about anything, especially larger pedes (although some of my S.s "Malaysian Giants" are longer than the diameter of the containers!!!) I am going to try to breed some of my other pedes (identical morphs though) only my last few tries have not been so great. I could never really figure out what a receptive female and a desperate male looked like (all the others would fight or flee) until I threw these two together!!!

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amazing videos from the both of you I'm starting to get more and more interested in pededs I really need to add some S. heros to my collection.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually they never fought until after mating, but it was usually just a quick terminal slap then they would flee from eachother until I separated them. I do have a nicer video camera but those videos I just posted were made using my digital camera. The round containers are the largest size of clear, pre-punched containers that superiorenterprise.com has. They work spectacularly for just about anything, especially larger pedes (although some of my S.s "Malaysian Giants" are longer than the diameter of the containers!!!) I am going to try to breed some of my other pedes (identical morphs though) only my last few tries have not been so great. I could never really figure out what a receptive female and a desperate male looked like (all the others would fight or flee) until I threw these two together!!!
Thanks Ppills. Yeah they immediately don't like to be around each other right after. I want to see some subspinipes vid. What kind of digital camera did you use, the resolution looks good. My camera is old and sometimes the zoom gets stuck, it won't zoom in as close as it used to with still pics. It could kick the bucket any time so I'm kind of looking around. It would be neat to see Xbabies but I'm wanting more to see arizonensis babies from a different one. So, ..anybody.. do subspinipes shake their tail too, same basic behavior?

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's just a little Sony Cybershot or something like that I'll check when I get out of class. I keep the resolution turned all the way up and it is an awesome little inexpensive camera IMO. All of the pics and about half the vids I have I created with it.

I have many S. subspinipes but whenever I throw them together they touch eachother and run the other way. I will continue experimenting though. Some act more aggressive than others I've noticed. Seems like with how common they are they would be relatively easy to breed...we are obviously missing something....

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sensational back to back vids, y'all! You make it seem so easy.

Regarding the subspinipes breeding attempts: I totally agree with CW on this. Lots of defensive behavior; everytime they meet it's either a hasty retreat or snappy, brief posturing. I've tried the identical morphs, de haani morphs, etc., etc. but it's always the same. Sigh.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I don't have any footage of mating S. subspinipes yet but here's at least another genera and species mating behavior. They did this several times but never got any further. I'm going to feed them some more and start experimenting with "environmental changes" and I also will dry out the sub a bit (it's wetter than necessary). This is a sorry video compared to the others. I'll hopefully tape a good pairing soon. Here's a quick clip of Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "blueleg" flirtation :) note the differences between the two, especially in girth...(you only really need to see the beginning of the vid)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jf6WCfqDDoU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jf6WCfqDDoU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey CW- in regards to the E. trigonopodus mating attempt- what time of year was that? I wonder if their is a seasonal element to centipede breeding & esp. for 'pedes of southern hemispheres: if the season is reversed or has anything to do with the rainy season.

Hey G- do you mind if this thread gets used for 'pede matin' vids? It might save us all a bit of searching & inspire the other collectors (like me:D ) to turn off the boob tube & get to matin'. Just didn't wat to jack it entirely w/o your blessing. Cheers!

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually like to watch the boob tube before matin'... sometimes even during... {D

zonbonzovi said:
Just didn't wat to jack it entirely w/o your blessing.
oh, I don't think he'll mind... ;)

{D

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey CW- in regards to the E. trigonopodus mating attempt- what time of year was that? I wonder if their is a seasonal element to centipede breeding & esp. for 'pedes of southern hemispheres: if the season is reversed or has anything to do with the rainy season.
You know zonbon I've been thinking the exact same thing. It seems rains (barometric pressure changes?) stimulate breeding in many animals, whether directly or indirectly. I've noticed countless times a lot of my Ts tend to molt and be more active in fall/spring whenever it rains where I live (the time of year we tend to get the most rain here). I haven't had pedes through the fall/winter/spring yet but we'll see what happens. I theorize that they will also be more active and receptive to eachother as soon as those clouds start coming. I think a well fed pair, placed together in a large black tub (darkness) with a few inches of substrate, with several hiding spots, high humidity and warmth, and during a wet stormy week, etc...might just be the trick!!!

Oh and to answer your question, lol, that vid was taken about 5 minutes before I posted it :) (we'll see if they become more receptive as the fall comes!)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Hey G- do you mind if this thread gets used for 'pede matin' vids? It might save us all a bit of searching & inspire the other collectors (like me:D ) to turn off the boob tube & get to matin'. Just didn't wat to jack it entirely w/o your blessing. Cheers!

Yeah, throw them all the thread if there are more out there!

dtasrt_lk

Arachnopeon
Great vids Galapoheros! (and CodeWilster too). The things I would do to have a heros.. :drool:

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm so excited to see multiple people taking a crack at breeding. I have no experience with breeding pedes, but I have bred dart frogs from the same latitude. since within their range in south america there is a rainy and dry season, to get them to mate you vary three things--1.) photo period 2.) people often keep dry for a while and then "start the rainy season." 3.)minor temperature variation

Point being...find what the conditions are naturally for the breeding and non breeding season and recreate them. If you keep a species at non breeding conditions for a while and suddenly switch to breeding conditions they may often hop right to getting it on.

If E. trigonopodus is from tanzania--I think I read that earlier in the post--then you'd have locate the region the pede is from in tanzania. the country ranges from semi arid desert to rain forest.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did they make the sperm web together? I thought that's what I was seeing in the later videos. :? Interesting. I never knew centipedes even make silk..

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did they make the sperm web together? I thought that's what I was seeing in the later videos. :? Interesting. I never knew centipedes even make silk..
The male constructs it, she was just waiting for him to deposit the spermatophore. And I didn't know for the longest time either, pretty neat when you find out!!!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Galapoheros + CodeWilster,
I had a internet problem and I couldn't play videos until now.Galapoheros that
was a great video and Cody that was a nice try.Was that your frist try breeding
pedes.Pedes usually don't do what you want.But keep on trying.Your real close
to getting that pair to breed.By the way Cody.You got it bad.Your our hooked
on pedes and theres no going back.