ID this pretty pede please

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got this really nice ~6" centipede a little while ago. It was labeled "escape artist" and nothing more lol. Just want to know what I should label it, thanks!!!! :worship:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like a Scolopendra sp. "Indonesian black tipped" to me. but i'm not heavily educated on pedes, so what do i know? lol
wouldn't mind having one myself, very nice!

-dan

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! I googled it and it looks like you nailed it. I have heard that name before but I didn't even think of it while trying to figure it out...

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Just a guess: either S. subspinipes "Vanuatu" or "Barbados". I really can't tell the difference. One of my personal faves.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! I googled it and it looks like you nailed it. I have heard that name before but I didn't even think of it while trying to figure it out...

yeah but i was just going by colors, and colors are useless most of the times when trying to ID.

maybe one of the more experienced centipede aficionados will jump into this thread to help out lol {D

either way, nice pede. makes me miss my huge S. subspinipes (r.i.p.)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Vanuatu and Barbados "variants" are still Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes. Some color variation is inevitable and natural within a species, and even subspecies, and small differences in color do not necessitate a different "form" or "variant". These subspinipes on Vanuatu, Barbados and Hawaii were all introduced from Asia.

Here is mine, from Java, Indonesia.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Daiman;

How you know it were introduced? ( It is not I don't believe you, but I want to know your reference) In other hand it is a thing that I also thought too because it's unusual that so distant populations of pedes has the same coloration more or less.

Your pede, looks to me that has a little cingulatoides caracteristics... but i'm not sure... the terminal legs are too large... but the head plate...

Cheers
CArles

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Codewilster thats a common scolopendra s.subspinipes. No special colorform. :)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your pede, looks to me that has a little cingulatoides caracteristics... but i'm not sure... the terminal legs are too large... but the head plate...

Cheers
CArles
That's an interesting observation. I got it from Turgut (peterbourbon), and he made no mention of S. subspinipes cingulatoides at the time, so I don't know.

Also - cingulatoides are found in Vietnam and Cambodia, not Indonesia, no?

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it was ID by Turgut it has a very high provability to be what they say...:eek:

In other hand... it has something strange to me that makes me say that can be a cingulatoides, but it has another ones that make me doubt like distribution and terminal legs, but maybe it is just a picture efect...

Acording steven's web site...

http://www.scolopendra.be/scolopendra_more.php?specie_id=100

Cheers
Carles

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The fact that Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes has wide distribution globally still does not make color variations any less visually arresting. As far as a taxonomic ID tool, I agree, it's irrelevant. But nonetheless, vague similarities in color, especially from islolated populations like islands are a primary reason that hobbyists still insist on using localities in quotes. Are they sometimes incorrect? Absolutely! Homo sapiens sapiens are all the same taxonomically, but try to have a conversation about different human beings without using their given names- the other people in the conversation will think you are crazy. And since nobody will know what I/you are talking about if i call my creatures Bob, Hortense or Felicia I/we use these localities to differentiate. Sorry. Just ranting. Bored at work & it beats talking about economic collapse or Britney's shaved head...

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

Gavins centipede clearly shows no characteristics of S.s.cingulatoides - I hope you are familiar with the taxonomic features that makes cingulatoides what it actually is.

S.s.cingulatoides has way thicker terminal legs (thats why Attems decided to call it "cingulatoides" - "cingulata-like").

Similar coloration of S.subspinipes distributed all over the world is nothing special.

EDIT: BTW The description of S. s. cingulatoides does not mention anything about the headplate, so there is no such special "cingulatoides"-headplate. ;)

Cheers from Costa Rica
Turgut

Last edited: