Are predatory mites good?

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a Malaysian Cherry Red. It was a messy thing. There was also mold growning on it's substrate and I didn't even keep it that moist. I constatntly had to clean up after it. Never had that problem with T's. Eventually it died.

I would like to get another pede but don't want to have the same problem. I was thinking. Could it be that it was just a messy eater? And if so, I have seen images on here of mites with the pedes (I was led to believe that they were helpful). In tarantula keeping sometimes people purchase preditory mites to kill off the natural ones that come with dying crickets in the enclosure (but I never had to get any). Are these the same?

Can some one tell me if mites could solve my problem? Which mites specifically? Where could I get them? Thanks in advance.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the predator mites are only going to eat things that are smaller than it. they are carnivores and i would doubt that they would help clean up after a pede. when we put these in our enclosures, it is to get rid of grain or parasite mites in the enclosure.

what you need in this case is some isopods. wood lice or rolly pollies are good. i collect mine in the wild, breed them on cricket parts for a while then add them to my enclosures. they do a good job and will reproduce rapidly.