SNAKE!!!... no wait... CENTIPEDE!!!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so i was road cruising in arizona looking for snakes when i came upon a very interesting situation. i was coming around a bend through some small hills and i saw a snake on the white line on the side of the road. i immediately stopped and jumped out of the car to grab the snake. well, to my surprise..... there was a snake... but there was a centipede as well... the centipede was eating the snake. YUM! now of course, the snake was hit by a car before the centipede found it. i really wanted to find a banded heros this trip, but didnt expect to find one where i found it and didnt expect to find it in this manner.

-josh

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would have been happy w/ a Tham cyrtopsis. But the centipede would do just as well.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! I love it when a great story has the pics to back it up... nicely done! Congrats on the find! Gorgeous specimen! So what happened? Did you take it home? Did you let it finish it's meal before collecting? Did you just pick up the snake and the 'pede attached itself to it? :)

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! I love it when a great story has the pics to back it up... nicely done! Congrats on the find! Gorgeous specimen! So what happened? Did you take it home? Did you let it finish it's meal before collecting? Did you just pick up the snake and the 'pede attached itself to it? :)
HAHAHA! yeah i collected it and yes, i picked up the snake and the pede hung onto it. it was the easiest heros to collect so far. was very simple. this particular animal is around 7 inches probably. not a super big one, but it still has plenty of room to grow

-josh

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HAHAHA! yeah i collected it and yes, i picked up the snake and the pede hung onto it. it was the easiest heros to collect so far. was very simple. this particular animal is around 7 inches probably. not a super big one, but it still has plenty of room to grow

-josh
I do not know much about centipedes,but how long does this get when it is mature?

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good show, Man!!!!

Outstanding find, congrats on your experience.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
these are not rare, just very small range and they get big. ive seen individuals pushing 10 inches.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nice find, Josh! Thanks for posting a pic of what I assume to be scavenging(can't imagine the heros took down the snake:eek: )?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice find, Josh! Thanks for posting a pic of what I assume to be scavenging(can't imagine the heros took down the snake:eek: )?
it was definitely scavenging. the snake was run over by a car. scavenging is pretty common with heros. they often scavenge road kill toads and rodents as well.

-josh

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, that snake's way too big for the 'pede to attack.

But this gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite 'pede links. Here's an example of (amongst other things) a heros taking out a snake... skip to the last paragraph on the right column.

Link

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish we could find pedes like that up here in the great white north. Alas, driving down a back road yields little but dead squirrels. Beautiful specimen, grats!!