My Millipedes... ID and sexing questions?

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello-

I'm new to the board, so just wanted to post what I have, and ask a couple questions. I currently have 11 Florida millipedes (I'm crap with latin, but will try HARD to pick it up and fit in!), and 9 African giants. My AFG's are still tiny at about 1"-1 1/2". My Floridas are about 2 1/2"-3".
[/IMG]Floridas
AFGs

I think my Floridas are large enough to sex, and I do see differences in the legs between either set #5 or #7 on a few of them when I use a 30x loupe. Is that what I'm supposed to be looking for?

Also, I bought the Floridas as just that....Florida Millipedes. I don't have much experience with these guys, but I didn't think the true Florida ivories had such strong yellow? Could these actually be an introduced West Indian type that I keep hearing about?

Thanks!

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Florida millipede is Anadenobolus monilicornis, introduced from the Caribbean.

The african giant is probably Archispirostreptus gigas.

To sex a millipede you have to look at body ring number 7 (incl. head shield). If there are legs missing = gap, it is a male. If there is no gap it is a female.

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank-you very much, millipeter. I really was curious about the true identity of the Bumblebees! I was hoping to get true ivories as I was looking for more giant pedes (the long-run plan was to have some large enough to put in my gecko containers as cleaners), but these guys are very pretty and I have enough that I should get some babies out them eventually.

I know the AFGs are what they are supposed to be since I got them from a local bug guy who has a breeding colony, so I'm just going to have to be patient and WAIT for the size to come!

Again, thanks for the help!