Narceus Americanus

m4illi17

Arachnopeon
I got a lot of about 8 adult, 6 baby Narceus americanus a coupl of months ago. I got so many in hopes that I could start a colony. I have seen them attempting to mate a lot, but so far I have not seen any signs of babies or eggs or any unusual behavior that would go along with babies.

I'm pretty sure my setup is right also. I have them in a tank with moss and pieces of wood (oak trees) for them to eat off of, a coconut fiber bedding, and a light over one side of the cage. I spray at least once a day, and it's decently moist in there. Could I be doing anything wrong? Or is there something more I need to be doing? Maybe I need a bigger tank? I was just hoping to see little babies in there by now.

thanks

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Is the wood decomposing? If it's not soft enough for you to flake easily with your fingers, it's not soft enough for them to eat. Millipedes eat the stuff that makes you and I cringe. They're more likely to eat the nasty, black stuff at the edge of the lettuce than the lettuce itself(this is a fun experiment while you're waiting for "the sexy time"). Try to find some badly decomposing oak mulch & supplement w/ rotting veggies from the fridge. With a little luck, a lot of patience & at least 1 pair of adults you'll have babies before long...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got a lot of about 8 adult, 6 baby Narceus americanus a coupl of months ago. I got so many in hopes that I could start a colony. I have seen them attempting to mate a lot, but so far I have not seen any signs of babies or eggs or any unusual behavior that would go along with babies.

I'm pretty sure my setup is right also. I have them in a tank with moss and pieces of wood (oak trees) for them to eat off of, a coconut fiber bedding, and a light over one side of the cage. I spray at least once a day, and it's decently moist in there. Could I be doing anything wrong? Or is there something more I need to be doing? Maybe I need a bigger tank? I was just hoping to see little babies in there by now.

thanks
cover it up. oak leaves they will really go wild over. if you keep the soil damp, put a lot of oak leaves and rotting wood in there and cover it up it will do batter.
I keep my roach tub sitting on top of the milli bin

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
roach frass? i suppose it's worth an experiment. with a varied diet, i wonder what nutrients would be left after being "processed" through a roach?(don't know my roach biology:8o ) with that many specimens, you could easily isolate it, see if it will take the frass & judeg overall effects. a good excuse to wear a lab coat, IME;)