about Orthoporus ornatus

vohnholley

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just acquired three millipedes. one died in transit here. I was wondering, can they be housed in steralite cotainers? Also if they can be housed together. As of right now, they are still in their shipping containers.

Bruce

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
housed in sterilite containers - yes
housed together - yes

O. ornatus is a cool species. i kept 8 smaller (3") O. ornatus in a 10gallon tank no prob.

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To this date I personally dont know of any one who have captive bred them.

vohnholley

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks i am cooking some substrate up right now. i am going to put them in the lower level of my reptile rack in a steralite container for the night until i can purchase a lid for my 10 gallon tank. they cant chew through plastic can they?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I seriously doubt they can chew through plastic, but then again, I have 2 adults that have eaten nearly all the spray foam insulation reinforcing the tank dividers in a 20g tank. They've since removed the pebbles that I put in(w/ aquarium sealant) to block the holes they made. They seem to scare the hell out of the Scolopendra subspinipes living in the 2 adjacent compartments whenever they bypass the dividers & I'm fairly certain they devoured an unsuspecting Damon diadema that was temporarily sharing their tank. I am no longer surprised by any of their behavior...

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm getting a handful of these later this week and apparently some pretty large specimens. Guess I'll be trying to get offspring, just because....

How large are your adults, Z?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
You're going to love them:D They are roughly 6+" long. Strange, I've never seen them eating the hardwood detritus I put in there, but if it seems inedible to us, they love it.