Thinking about Scolopendra polymorpha

Jwwjr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've found some caresheets on these guys but the only thing I haven't found out is minimal and optimal cage size. At the moment this is the only thing holding me back from starting to get into peds. The one I'm looking at will be around 3 inchs when/if i get it.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
For keeping purposes, pretty minimal. I think the 2x length of 'pede by 1.5x length of 'pede(L x W of container) works pretty well. For displaying that size, you might look into some of the acrylic shoe boxes from thecontainerstore.com- cheap, transparent, no gaps where the lid meets the box.

Jwwjr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heh, at that size they will still do OK in a 10dram vial (er, ~3.5" tall by ~0.75" wide)

you might want to read this:
http://cacoseraph.exofire.net/centis/S_polymorpha.php
yea I've read it... there nothing on that site about caging size. Like would a 5 gallon aquarium be sufficient in size for a full grown species or would I have to opt for a 10 gallon? Or could I go as small as a 2.5 gallon aquarium.

thats all I need to know :)

But if your saying a 10dram vial will be enough, I'm assuming 2.5 gal would be minimal with a 5 gal being optimal and the 10 gal too big.

Thanks for the help

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
5 gallon is more than enough for an adult. Shucks- get the 10 gallon, split it & get your 'pede a friend.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
unless 'pedes can teleport through glass he'll be ok;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
pedes are one of the most surprisingly escapey animals. i wouldn't try splitting a cage until you have kept a lot of them for a good amount of time so you can have a better internalized idea of what they are capable of

they may not be able to climb glass but they can flex their headplate and have other tricks tarantulas don't

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
unless 'pedes can teleport through glass he'll be ok;)
they can lol
well they will make you think they can anyway. A big peed can get out of an exoterra cage lol trust me I have experienced it lol
also unless you completely seal where the divider meets the lid, it will be out the gate man. they cant climb glass but they can climb cracks in anything and silicone sealant is easy for them to climb lol

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
you jinxed me;) got a call at work from my wife: "your damn 'pede is in the gbb tank! what should i do?" {D {D {D the little monster scaled what i *thought* was a dying plant- the stalk had apparently gotten much stronger w/ all the summer sun coming through the window- used its' beastly strength to push up the plate glass covering the tank, then squeezed through the lid on the gbb tank. color me scarlet w/ embarrassment. i take back everything i've ever said about 'pede security, lesson learned.