How do I avoid mold in substrate?

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know I can ventilate well and add isopods...but will isopods annoy small pedelings?

Also...what kind of substrate is best to avoid mold?

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
btw I only ask since my old Cherry Red died after I repeatedly found mold in her enclosure. Pedes really are dirty eaters.

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've used garden soil, peat moss, coco peat etc for my T enclosures. The only ones that never had any mold were the ones with just garden soil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i found that when i stopped over feeding and stopped keeping the sub so moist i had less mold

when the pedes don't have such a surfeit of food items they really work at stripped all the nutrients and guts from the food items they do have

of course, if you use highly vented cages i wouldn't advise keeping the sub as relatively unmoist as i do... even with a water dish.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey JDR- I keep a cherry red in swamp-like conditions w/ isopods- no issues, no mites. Caco's right- you may want to cut back on feeding. Regarding small 'pedes- no problems w/ isopods, although if you suspect a molt you may want to monitor as isopods will collect around the shed molt, lookin' for a handout. Normally though, the freshly molted 'pede will devour the shed before the isopods can even eat a fraction of it.