anorexic centipedes and plants in the habitat

zimzee

Arachnopeon
Hello

can any1 give some information on what plants to use in my centipede tank.
I have a Scolopendra angulata angulata aka amazon centipede so the tank is humid and very dim lit also i live in the u.k so i might not be able to get some exotic plants.

for some reason it doesnt seem to eat its had a cricket in there for about 2 weeks or more and it just seems to bury it self all the time but i dug it up once and then when it went to bury it self again it started munching on a cricket which was trapped in the corner where it was digging but apart from that it does nothing.

here is a vid of my pede, but is not the best lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Ki5gAPGxE

THANX in advance zimzee :?

Last edited:

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is the temperature of the cage? (ambient temp/spot temp). And if its a nice warmer temp close to its own environment? Do you use heat pads or lamps? If you use heat pads of course don't but them under the tank, on the sides is preferable.

Knowing centipedes are fairly voracious eaters they go through a good amount of prey items, have you tried target feeding? placing the food near its antennae? Or does it shy away? If it just refuses food it may be in a premolt in which case leave it alone. If it has a den and begins to blockade the entrance it could be gestating eggs.

My Vietnamese giant, did the same thing(always burrowed b4 i got it a man made den), being wild caught it was fairly skittish and bolted to its den when i opened the cage, but whenever a cricket or meal worm made its way into the den it would def eat it.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My S. angulata was an extreme pet hole! By far the least visible pede I had. I never really got to see mine eat (except a few times) , but crickets eventually disappeared. If your pede is still very active when you dig it up I would not worry, especially since it ate while you had it running around.

zimzee

Arachnopeon
thanx for the reply.
I use a heat mat underneath 1 side of the tank where i keep the substrate at about 1 or half inch deep.
The humidty is perfect.
just needing some plants any suggests are welcome.