Eggs

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just found my 7" WC S. subspinipes subspinipes coiled around a large clutch of eggs. How long will the eggs take to hatch, on average?

EDIT: Oh and temperature 'round here is consistently around 30 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congrats gavin!
when you get some babies,i'll be interested!
let us know on the progress!
sorry,cant help you with how long theyll take to hatch,but i can tell you that my mutilans eggs took about a month.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
congrats gavin!
when you get some babies,i'll be interested!
let us know on the progress!
sorry,cant help you with how long theyll take to hatch,but i can tell you that my mutilans eggs took about a month.
You mean IF I get some babies. The last time a centipede laid eggs in my care (yellow leg mutilans) the mother ate them within three days. :(

I definitely will post updates. If the eggs do hatch into plings I'll have a few reserved for you, for sure. ;)

Did you do anything to increase/maintain humidity for your mutilans mother? The substrate mine is on is a tad dry. Should I add water to it and risk disturbing the mother, or leave her alone? Should I mist her periodically so she can drink? I'm not sure she can go a month without drinking.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You mean IF I get some babies. The last time a centipede laid eggs in my care (yellow leg mutilans) the mother ate them within three days. :(

I definitely will post updates. If the eggs do hatch into plings I'll have a few reserved for you, for sure. ;)

Did you do anything to increase/maintain humidity for your mutilans mother? The substrate mine is on is a tad dry. Should I add water to it and risk disturbing the mother, or leave her alone? Should I mist her periodically so she can drink? I'm not sure she can go a month without drinking.
i dont know.
my substrate was moist on one side and very dry on the other.
she had her babies under this dish i put there and it was pretty dry,but not completely.
i didnt do anything at all,just monitored her every few days.
i even disturbed her a bit by moving that plate she hid under up and down.
but then again,it might depend on the individual.
maybe you can mist right next to her but not ON her?
i say just keep the substrate slightly moist.
i didnt mist mine and it dont think it ever went to get a drink in the water dish while it had the eggs.
she was fine and is currently the only mutilans i have now.:)
good luck with the eggs!
try not to disturb her much.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i dont know.
my substrate was moist on one side and very dry on the other.
she had her babies under this dish i put there and it was pretty dry,but not completely.
i didnt do anything at all,just monitored her every few days.
i even disturbed her a bit by moving that plate she hid under up and down.
but then again,it might depend on the individual.
maybe you can mist right next to her but not ON her?
i say just keep the substrate slightly moist.
i didnt mist mine and it dont think it ever went to get a drink in the water dish while it had the eggs.
she was fine and is currently the only mutilans i have now.:)
good luck with the eggs!
try not to disturb her much.
Thanks for the input. Problem is, mine doesn't even have a water dish to drink from. I did pour some water into the substrate a couple of days ago though - it's not actually that dry. Do you think she'll do just fine without me adding any more water or a waterdish?

I literally haven't laid a finger on her tank since I discovered the eggs, and I don't really plan to.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gavin i can not offer any advice,but i will wish you luck.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the input. Problem is, mine doesn't even have a water dish to drink from. I did pour some water into the substrate a couple of days ago though - it's not actually that dry. Do you think she'll do just fine without me adding any more water or a waterdish?

I literally haven't laid a finger on her tank since I discovered the eggs, and I don't really plan to.
i dont think she'll actually drink from the dish.
i guess the dish is mainly to keep the humidity up.
plus i kept mine in a closet so thats a plus too.
try adding a small water dish to her enclosure next to her.
cant do more harm than good.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i dont think she'll actually drink from the dish.
i guess the dish is mainly to keep the humidity up.
plus i kept mine in a closet so thats a plus too.
try adding a small water dish to her enclosure next to her.
cant do more harm than good.
Aight. Checked on her this morning and she's still coiled around them as usual. So far so good.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The main rule of thumb is don't do anything right now! Just pretend she doesn't exist for a month. The best way to have success is to absolutely leave her alone! Hope all goes well. Congrats.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately, she ate the eggs. :(

I didn't touch her container at all, so I'd guess they were infertile.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe she'll lay again.
they can retain sperm as long as they dont molt right?

Jürgen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey!

I think its very hard (maybe not possible) to inkubate alone eggs.
I tried it one times and lose it.
Anybody tried it succesfull?

Regards
Jürgen

Ridoo

Arachnopeon
Hello,

HEYMONS and BRUNHUBER already reported that the eggs did not develop if separated from the mother.

Isolated eggs and L1 dont survive longer than 2,5 days. (RADL '93)
It seems essential for eggs and larvae younger than 35 days to be
in permanent contact with the female to ensure protection from bacterial and fungal infections. Tested at Scolopendra cingulata.

"Although eggs or larvae are not cleaned individually, except after contamination with soil particles, the female frequently cleans her own legs and stemites and never lets the offspring contact the ground."

So its impossible to seperate eggs successful! Especially without a sterile lab.

Only larvae older than 36 days can survive without their mother (Sc. cingulata).

regards René

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hello,

HEYMONS and BRUNHUBER already reported that the eggs did not develop if separated from the mother.

Isolated eggs and L1 dont survive longer than 2,5 days. (RADL '93)
It seems essential for eggs and larvae younger than 35 days to be
in permanent contact with the female to ensure protection from bacterial and fungal infections. Tested at Scolopendra cingulata.

"Although eggs or larvae are not cleaned individually, except after contamination with soil particles, the female frequently cleans her own legs and stemites and never lets the offspring contact the ground."

So its impossible to seperate eggs successful! Especially without a sterile lab.

Only larvae older than 36 days can survive without their mother (Sc. cingulata).

regards René
Do you have a link to this publication or an ISBN # or something that I may track it down by?