Question For Dealers

Bugologist

Arachnopeon
Anyone able to import Malaysian Jewel Centipedes. I am sure you would get more than enough takers to make it worth your while.

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
For having been a trader before -and based in Malaysia at the time- I can say that Malaysian Jewel centipedes are tough ones to deal with... they re collected in the highlands, don't do well once brought back in the lowlands (temperature/humidity changes are huge) and became very costly to purchase in the past two/three years. A lot of collectors from East Asia (Taiwanese/Japanese) are buying them directly from the villages where traders use to purchase them... Very few specimens make it to their final destination in good condition.

Bugologist

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the detailed info, I appreciate you taking the time to give a full explanation. What a shame they are so hard to come by though, they are stunners!

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

in addition to that I suppose renommated centipede breeders / keepers agree when I say they are very hard to raise from a pedeling.
Especially the above mentioned habitate conditions are pure challenge for hobby keepers - keeping humidity high, but temperature cool, having lots of dry zones on the one hand and also care about their affinity to dehydrate very fast - and finally providing very good ventilation.

They usually hide in the drier parts of an enclosure, but at the same time they often come up to access water.
On the other hand you kill the pedeling when you provide too moist substrate.
They are definitely no fun to raise!

Anyway they seem to be less sensitive when they are grown up.

Another interesting thing is: By far they are the most nervous pedes I've ever seen. A S.s. dehaani "cherry red" behaves like a millipede, compared to a jewel.

Regards,
Turgut

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you saying that Cherry Red's are the most docile pede? That would make sense. It was my first pede and I did a handling video (it's on youtube) and someone told me that it must be a more relaxed temperment species and that his Vietnamese pede would never be so cooperative.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

cherry reds are considered as very nervous (together with S. spinosissima), that's why I compared them with Jewels who are way more nervous.

In my experience the cherry reds are crazy when they grow from pedelings to subadult. When they are adult, they seem to be more "relaxed".

Reagrds
Turgut