Thinkin about gettin back into pedes

pediepablo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys,

It's been several years since I've owned a centipede or been on this board... but i've been thinking about gettin back into it. I forget which online dealers I used to buy from. Could you guys recommend any to me that have a decent selection? I already checked the dealer links on this site. It looked like kenthebugguy and swift were the only ones that had pedes. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kenthebugguy is the bomb!!! I would definitely buy from him. :D Todd Gearheart ("Xenesthis") gets some incredible pedes in imports here and there too. I've bought many centipedes from both dealers.

Anyway welcome back, it's always good to see a member return and get back into bugs!

pediepablo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think I'll go with Kenthebugguy then. I'm thinkin about goin with the alternans (florida giant), de haani pedeling, and a polymorpha.

A couple questions:

I had a "Haitian Giant" before... is the alternans similar to this?

How difficult is it to raise a pedeling? I've never tried.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I own Four Anadenobolus monilicornis and find them extreamly easy to care for.I recived mine at 1.5 inches and are alreay 2" after only a few months. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

i guess he means centipedes not millipedes. ;)

"Haiti Giant" = Scolopendra alternans
"Florida Keys" = Scolopendra alternans

The Keys morph is optically totally different, but finally the same species.
Both are burrowers, in my experience the FK-morph even more.

Haiti Giant-pedelings are very prone to dehydration - I have some pedelings and only the ones survived that i actually keep very moist.

Generally i think pedelings are not very easy to raise (except S. subspinipes subspinipes and S. cingulata), but finally it's very interesting to watch them grow.

Please mind that S. alternans pedelings grow up very slowly, so you have to be patient. ;)

If anyone offers cherry red (S.s. dehaani) pedelings, I'd rather stick to them.
They are more fun to raise.

Regards
Turgut