Scolopendra Subsnipes (Vietnamese Pede)

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today I recieved a large specimen (7 or 8"). When I went to get crickets there was an isopod in the cricket tank. (It looked like a small brown caterpiller) I asked for it as well. I took it home and through it in the Critter Keeper with my pede. It ate it within 2 seconds. How am I supposed use Isopods to keep it clean if I can't keep Isopods alive for more than a second? lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I've seen what you're talking about in cricket containers I have gotten in the past. If it's what I'm thinking you saw, it might not have been a sow/pillbug, but the larvae of some kind of beetle. They look a little like Ladybug larvae, maybe the dermestid(sp?) beetle larvae, unsure, don't really know but I'm betting at least it wasn't a sowbug but sure could've been. Here's a link I found to a good pic.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ermested+beetle+larvae%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&um=1

t-lover

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
iv gotten that befor to except i fed it to a lizard only to find a dead one the next morning:( :8o

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pede hides under the substrate all day. How am I to feed it? Wait for it to come to the surface?
Also, how many crickets for one this size?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
It will hunt at night. 1 cricket at a time will do. When it's hungry, it'll eat 3-4 a week.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
It will hunt at night. 1 cricket at a time will do. When it's hungry, it'll eat 3-4 a week.
Thread revival....
Since I havent kept a pede in about 10 years, I picked up a nice solid 8" WC today for....$15???
Anway, it has taken about 8 full size crickets today...one after the other...I think I am going to lay off for a couple days...
Any warnings on overfeeding? This specimen doesnt look wanting for food at all, but it keeps going...
Thanks
Tony