My new pede pics!!!!

german shepard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You sure of that?

Looks more like a Heros Arizonesis banded sp. to me? Not a pro by any means however the coloration looks magnificent! If you go back out there and find anymore would love to buy 1 or 2 off you. Checkout my profile and you'll see I have a rather nice collection to date of pedes myself. Always looking to add.....especially when you find something different? Nice pics by the way, thanks for sharing, Martin

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ft. Davis Mountain Centipede?

I last saw one of these from a collector in 1999. It was from the Ft. Davis Mountains of West Texas. Could it be a form of Scolopendra heros and not S. polymorpha?

Patriot

Arachnopeon
thanks, i was wondering what it might be i just assumed it was polymorpha cause thats what i always find. If i can find more i'll definitely be willing to part with them for cheap. I have a question too, how often should i feed him and should i stay away from rodents and feed him locusts etc.

Patriot

Arachnopeon
It seems as though it might be s. heros i guess, i have found the black and red heros further east. oops sorry for double posting

Last edited:

Moultmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If i can find more i'll definitely be willing to part with them for cheap.
That's a beautiful specimen but I would hope you don't have the desire to remove any more of them from their native habitat. And I would hope that nobody puts in a request to buy any of these from you as you are removing them from an isolated population that might not be able to take the strain of collecting. There are plenty of captive breeders out there to choose from.

Patriot

Arachnopeon
Wise words, maybe i could give breeding a try, i don't have experience with pedes but i have bred tarantulas, (texas browns).

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have that exact pede, aren't they just freakin awesome? super aggressive too! i'm thinking it's a type of banded form of arizonensis,but a different local,but i'm not possitive on that. ya never know with these guys.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Without getting into taxonomy, location and what not...that's a banded heros. If you have access to locusts & the beast will take them, go for it. As far as CB-??? Would love to see it, but have yet to see CB(not captive hatched) heros, esp. the banded variety, up for sale. If you happen to get plings: baby them as you would your own progeny, massage them, feed them the finest inverts, mist their cage with Evian...love them. Breed, breed, breed!!! Cool find.

Patriot

Arachnopeon
i have that exact pede, aren't they just freakin awesome? super aggressive too! i'm thinking it's a type of banded form of arizonensis,but a different local,but i'm not possitive on that. ya never know with these guys.
Its by far the biggest one i've had, there is surely a difference in temperament compared to the few polymorpha i've caught, it seems alot more interested in trying its fangs out on everything (cage walls, items in its cage etc.) Its also less flighty and eats whatever you put in there. My favorite so far.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, a banded heros heros. They are not rare, you don't see them much in the hobby because there aren't many people were they live, so there is no threat of over collecting imo. And there are 1000s and 1000s of private acres out there, they are safe. You can also find them south of the Davis Mountains, to the Big Bend area and surely into Mex. They appear to be found around metamorphic rock and not so much the lighter sedimentary rock where the non-banded heros heros are. Maybe just a heros heros color adaptation over time to the darker rock(?). I had a pair, they mated and then the female got out!!! ...what a loser!

Last edited:

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice pede! It looks similar to the one that I had that, unfortunately, died. :( I like how the black fades to the orange on these.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nice pic! Is that a pickle jar lid in the enclosure? Mmmmm...pickles.

Patriot

Arachnopeon
Thanks, thats a very nice pic really shows off the coloration, from what i've read through the forums there is a crap load of different color variations for the s. heros. So far i think this one is my favorite.
Nice pede! It looks similar to the one that I had that, unfortunately, died. :( I like how the black fades to the orange on these.