I Held Her!!!

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh my!! I was so nervous to hold my G.rosea which BTW..I named her Piper, but I finally just said DO It! and I did it, she was so gentle and sweet, just walked right onto my hand and sat there, I was amazed!!!

I have fallen so in love, I dont know what else to say, but....
THANKS MEBEBRAZ for sending me this wonderful, sweet and gentle girl! :D

Renee

Yes,...this may seem like not a big deal to some, but I am a newbie to the T world and I find this to be THE MOST fascinating hobby ever!! :D

I am soooo hooked on T's now, that I am ready for my 2nd one, maybe a Curly or a Red Knee......Oh What the heck, I may get both.. =D

Last edited:

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
clap clap clap clap clap!!! Good for you. That is a big fear to overcome and you did it! Congrats.

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
Congrates!! I am realitively new to the Tarantula world. But not the Invert world. Spiders were my 2nd biggest fear. For the last 10 years I have studied them. I always looked up info on spiders that I found around my house cuz of my fear and my kids safety.
I love reptiles and know a great deal about them.
Well as one of the sayings go "keep your friends close keep your enemies closer." I have no real fear of spiders besides being startled now. And getting to know my so called enemies has given me real insight nowand loss of fear. (Or a false sense of security!LOL)
I love the animal kingdom and love these taranula's also. I always keep in mind they are wild animals captive bread or not.
We name them, handle them, and study every one. I love to ask questions to see what other people think, say, or feel diferently about the?. I ask questions I already know the answers to because I still learn more. Sooooooooo Enjoy dont give up on bad times or bites and use the good Forum friends you make!
Papa.:)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on the handling I head lmy 1.25" Curly hair for the first time yesterday :)

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys, yes everyone here is very knowledgable and helpful with all the questions and I read the boards alot. My hubby even thinks she is cute and fuzzy. I do totally respect all of mother natures creatures, and I have been learning alot.

I have always been quite afraid of spiders big and small, but now with all the information that i have been reading, it has really shed alot of light on the subject.

Renee

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool, Congrats on overcoming a big fear. Just remember that she is a living creature and she too may have a bad day, always test out her temperment before holding and if she is in a pissy mood just leaver her be for awhile. But must of all just remember to have fun and treat her good.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Its always exciting to hold your first T. The first one I held was my Adult Male Pinktoe and it was totally by accident.Whenever I cleaned his tank he would make it a point to bolt out the top and then would climb up the stand I have for a 10 Gallon tank and then would climb into the 10 gallon which was empty at the time. Well one time i was watching him climb and it looked like he was going to fall so i reached out and put my hand underneath and he climbed right on and then up my arm, I was very surprised because you can hardly feel them walking on you at all. Good Luck with your new addiction... I said I would stop at 10 lol but now im at 35 and thats not including ones that have died or that I have sent away for breeding.

peace

TheDon

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheDon
... I said I would stop at 10 lol but now im at 35 and thats not including ones that have died or that I have sent away for breeding.

peace

TheDon
Yah, I said no more after number nine. We are currently pushing 40, with a couple breeding projects in the works. :D What can I say, I cave WAY too easily...

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on handling your first T :) It is quite an experience!!!

Now there's no holding you back, lol!

Pixie

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool

Way cool and congrats on holding your first T. The feeling of there legs for some reason always makes me sleepy. I wonder if anyone else is like this?

Also, not to rain on your parade or anything but try to remember when holding these creatures that they are still spiders. Even though they are sweet and beautifull and all around amazing they still have LARGE fangs, venom and can inflict a painfull bite.

I hold my T's from time to time so I am not telling you not to handle them, what I am saying is that if you are going to hold them try not to let yourself get to comfortable doing so.

I knew a guy that was always holding his B smithi. ALWAYS! He got so used to that spider that he stopped looking for the warning signs that spiders generally give when they dont want to be bothered.

The end result was a very painfull bite and a dead spider. The guy felt awful for dropping her but thats what can happen if you dont pay attention and get to comfortable with your T's.

Also, watch those hairs. I personally dont get reactions but I hear it really sucks.

Congrats again and good luck with your future Tarantulas!

-Charlie

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Cool

Originally posted by Charlie
Way cool and congrats on holding your first T. The feeling of there legs for some reason always makes me sleepy. I wonder if anyone else is like this?

Also, not to rain on your parade or anything but try to remember when holding these creatures that they are still spiders. Even though they are sweet and beautifull and all around amazing they still have LARGE fangs, venom and can inflict a painfull bite.

-Charlie

Thanks and yes, I will totally keep that in mind about the signs and such. I basically will only hold her when necessary, I held a B. smithi at work and boy she make me itch, I was not nervous about holding her guess maybe that is because the keeper got her out for me and we talked about all her different body parts etc..

When I got piper my G. rosea, I was nervous and I think it was because of actually getting her out on my own, but I feel that it was necessary, not to mention just to hold her, but also in case something did happen, I want to make sure that I and she is comfortable with my presence.

Devon Mogel

Arachnopeon
Congrats!

I'm trying to bring myself to hold my 6' T. blondi "Isabelle".
I hold all of my other terrestrials, and I have no reason to think she's hostile.
But when I hear her stridulate when she walk my hand instinctively jerks back.

So, congratulations, holding a beloved T is a blessing. ^^;

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Uh.. did you know this thread was 9yrs old devon lol? the OP's last activity was in Nov of 11 though, so MAYBE shes still around to see your comment one day. Best of luck to you handling YOUR t though.. ive handled every single t that ive raised, but for some reason, am scared to pick up one that is new and is grown already UNLESS ive raised it. IDK y.. Be careful for the u-hairs lol i hear they are quite itchy

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Congrats, experienced the same about a 6 weeks ago. After my smithi molted, it's not handleable any more. Someone probably installed turbochargers on it. When touched with brush, it will just teleport to another side of enclosure. (waaaay faster than my GBB)