Can anybody ID this guy? (Ohio Millipede)

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Next time you find one, consider taking it home. They are fairly easy to care for, and quite interesting to watch and interact with. :)

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats funny, because about a month ago, I posted a picture of that species (from Hocking Hills) hoping to have it identified. Next time I go I'll have to collect a couple

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, N. gordanus is easy to distuingish from the other two species N. americanus and N. annularis.
The status of the last two species is quite difficult. The typical N. americanus has a more southern distribution and N. anularis a more northern but these two species share a large area from Illinois-Tennessee-North Carolina-West Virginia, have a very high variability in characters, even in one population. Both occur sometimes at one place and there are intermediate forms of both known. So it's very hard to say what species you have. Possibly these are just two or many subspecies. The N. annularis/americanus complex would be a good case for an analysis of genetic relationship to solve this confusing taxonomic problem in future.

btw: the Narceus from the south of Ohio could be either americanus or annularis, the Narceus from N.Y. should represent N. annularis.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where is a good supplier of these American millipedes? I am becoming more and more interested in millipedes, I think i might just have to get a few! That is a beautiful millipede :)

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i came across several dozen of those one evening. They were beneath chunks of wood in saw-dust piles behind a saw mill in southern Indiana. Should have snagged a few. Lord knows how many were around, seemed to be several for every log turned over.