Mold issue

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone I am using coco fiber and I am dealing with mold is it better to leave it on the dryer side??? I have 2 scolopendra subspinipes (veiatamese) they are in rubbermaid tubs. Is there a better substrate that won't mold there being kept humid but not wet....I use water dishes as well thanks Matt

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, keeping the pede enclosure humid is good, but if the tub isn't well ventilated it will help to the growth of mold. With fall and winter fast approaching fungal spores will be at an all time high, which is contradictory seeing that being exposed will allow contaminates in and having high humidity, no air flow allows mold to flourish. My thought would be cut some holes in the tubs and hot glue/tape metal screen for vents. Maybe keeping a hygrometer to see when you should/shouldn't mist, to reduce the amount of water provided.

And on that note, some tropical species can find certain molds not a problem at all, but why risk it IMO.

Also, I'm guessing you did this already, but make sure you clean/disinfect the tub and decor you place in it, these things most likely harbored spores waiting for the right time to germinate.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is why I don't use coco for really moist enclosures. Although a little harder to rehydrate than coco, a peat/vermiculite mix is much more resistant to mold/fungal growth due to peat's slightly acidic PH.

Taryllton

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you keep isopods in the enclosure? It seems to me that there usually must be some sort of organic contaminant to set off mold growth in coco fiber or otherwise. Centipedes leave debris everywhere when they feed so this is no surprise. Anyway, after putting a healthy amount of isopods in all my enclosures I never had another problem with mold.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Do you keep isopods in the enclosure? It seems to me that there usually must be some sort of organic contaminant to set off mold growth in coco fiber or otherwise. Centipedes leave debris everywhere when they feed so this is no surprise. Anyway, after putting a healthy amount of isopods in all my enclosures I never had another problem with mold.
Agreed. I've been experimenting with millipedes as well- so far to good results.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
The reason most people get mold is because they read "humid" and "moist", and somewhere along the line it becomes "soggy" and "sweltering". :) I've kept subspinipes for years just wetting one corner (overflow the waterdish when you fill it) and that's it... no misting, no wetting the entire substrate, etc etc.

I think if you're in a rubbermaid, you'll be more than fine by wetting the corner by overflowing the water dish and leaving the rest dry. Try that out and see if the mold clears up. And centipedes don't need to be kept dripping humid, if they have a burrow they can get into, the AH will be pretty high no matter what... just get a tiny bit of "groundwater" going from the water dish overflow, and their burrows will be fine.

Good luck!

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The reason most people get mold is because they read "humid" and "moist", and somewhere along the line it becomes "soggy" and "sweltering". :) I've kept subspinipes for years just wetting one corner (overflow the waterdish when you fill it) and that's it... no misting, no wetting the entire substrate, etc etc.

I think if you're in a rubbermaid, you'll be more than fine by wetting the corner by overflowing the water dish and leaving the rest dry. Try that out and see if the mold clears up. And centipedes don't need to be kept dripping humid, if they have a burrow they can get into, the AH will be pretty high no matter what... just get a tiny bit of "groundwater" going from the water dish overflow, and their burrows will be fine.

Good luck!
Thanks that really helps. I guess I have been keeping them too wet in the rubbermaids. I don't mist but once a week and they always have water. I will try your suggestion as they are not pedlings. Thanks Tom, for the input. Matt