Indo blacktip eggs

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was checking on my pedes today and found this girl wrapped around a clutch of eggs. Unfortunately she is CH and has never seen a male. I am going to purchase a few adults from a friend in hopes of getting a male to pair her with in the near future. Any way here's the pic. Enjoy!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Nice animal. Somebody has adults of that species for sale that are captive hatched and reared to maturity? Any idea how long it took them to reach maturity and the survival rate?

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This one is captive hatched about a year ago. I only bought one of these so I'm not sure of the survival rate. But I've raised a number of species from babies and would say I've had about an 80% survival rate. The adults I'm going to purchase are wc. Thanks

Taryllton

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I raised three of these from pedelings (actually they were apparently hatched from stock originating in the Phillippines, but so far as I can tell it's the exact same animal or one quite similar). All three survived into adulthood (which for this particular variety seemed to be on the smaller end, 6"-7") and proved quite hardy, whereas with similar attention I lost a "Malaysian Cherry Red" pedeling haha. :(

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats the most common form of s.subspinipes . Not a black-tip.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not positive, but I swear I remember reading about a 'virgin birth' where a captive hatched centipede laid fertile eggs without breeding. May want to treat this like a real breeding opportunity!

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

even in literature Scolopendromorpha are not considered as parthenogenetic, but (as far as I remember) some Geophilomorpha.

Anyway since not everything is explored in the world I wouldn't bet on the above stated fact. Do you know when you heard of it and where this information came from?

Regards
Turgut

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly I do not, and it would have been a while ago...just thought it might be worth mentioning.

EDIT: it was here! http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-47372.html

The link he uses is no longer up, but I recall reading it. Vanatu is such a cool ssp. too.

EDIT #2: It looks like it was just eggs actually; still, I'm sure I saw a diagram showing captive born centipedes producing babies without mating...maybe steven can chime in.

Last edited: