best substrate

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am comming to hate coco fiber what is a good alternative. Is there anything at Lowes that would work???

Taryllton

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Organic peat moss, which you may be able to find at loew's, or if not a "nursery" like Pike's. I use both, I've never really noticed a difference as far as one being superior. They're both basically porous dirt haha...

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am comming to hate coco fiber what is a good alternative. Is there anything at Lowes that would work???
Yeah basically your other option is peat. Though I used to use potting soil and I didn't really have a problem with it. You have to put it in moist and then fan dry it or it's too fluffy but once you do it's good.

BTW what's your beef with coco fiber? Just wondering so maybe I could think of a substrate that solves whatever problem you are having. My experiences with coco fiber have been pretty good.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've started using peat as it's cheaper than coco fiber. Can't go wrong for $6/sq.yd. Once the isopods are established, your mold problems will disappear. I keep the same Scolopendra species you have in a drippingingly moist sterilite container & have no issues with either coco or peat.