found another pede in the yard

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found another pede in my front yard yesterday. I check under this same rock now and then to check on a tarantula that lives under there. What was kind of strange to me is that this pede has what looks like the hypopus stage grain mites on it. I know it's normal for the mites to hitch a ride this way but this is the first time I've really checked and saw so many on a wild caught invert, whatever the mite species. I tried to knock him out in some water to check but he woke up pretty fast while I was checking so I was in trouble for a minute or two with it's feet digging in(they are strong!) but got him off my hand without getting bitten. The T is still under the same rock, I don't think they had come in contact with each other, ..pretty big, flat rock. Going to put the pede in huge rock pile in the backyard.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how'd you not get bit?

wouldn't catch me holding one like that(or at all:D )

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't leave it under water long enough. I used a chopstick with my other hand to flip it back off into the pot of water.

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful pede you are so lucky to have these in your yard

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing that not happend yet to you, is tha t S. heros knock your door... but, give it time...:eek:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't leave it under water long enough. I used a chopstick with my other hand to flip it back off into the pot of water.
I have never tried that before. how long is long enough with drowning it?

does it always get rid of the mites?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never tried that before. how long is long enough with drowning it?

does it always get rid of the mites?
the water just knocks the centipede out. you still have ot manually remove themites

plo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll keep a look out. I'm just south of Ft Worth

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Never thought about waterboarding:) - can't you also use short term refrigeration for the same effect?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was NOT expecting a pede that big when I opened this thread! lol

We have pedes here... but the largest I've found was maaaybe 3"

That is a gorgeous specimen!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Holy crap. Amazing that thing didn't bite you. I so wish I had tarantulas and pedes in my back yard... At least I have velvet ants and Argiopes and jumpers...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never thought about waterboarding:) - can't you also use short term refrigeration for the same effect?
Seems more humane but it doesn't last very long.
Moltar: yeah I feel like I have a good bug yard, can't have everything though:D
Teal: I know, I couldn't believe it when I saw my first giant pede. I was on a field trip in w tx when somebody came running up with one they found, I thought it came from mars! I was po'd when they killed it and put it in jar.