Beginner Centipede

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am considering getting my first centipede. i have quite a bit of experience with different invertebrates including tarantulas, true spiders and scorpions. i have been thinking about adding a centipede to the collection.

what would you recommend as a good first centipede for me? i really like the ones with blue/green on them...would any of these be good for a beginner? are there any species that can be communal?

BrysonCJ

Arachnopeon
A beginner pede? My first pede was a S. polymorpha and it was awesome. Although it'll be pretty tough to find one with blue/green marking, I imagine...

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
A beginner pede? My first pede was a S. polymorpha and it was awesome. Although it'll be pretty tough to find one with blue/green marking, I imagine...
They're around. Search 'polymorpha' in For Sale/Trade. I recall seeing a couple of ads for them here recently.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah we actually just got a S polymorpha, and we were expecting the striped orangish redish brown, but when we got it, it has some blue legs and antenea. Its a pretty sweet looking pede. Maybe next time it is out we will try to snag a picture.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was reading in this http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=49955 that they should be kept somewhat dry and kind of moist. We use potting soil as substrate, and it is kind of moist, is that ok? We haven't misted the setup since we put it in there since they are a kind of dry species, but it won't get a micodial infection on moist substrate will it?

Thanks

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Should be ok, as long as its not soaking, and you dont add anymore moisture.