Mixing roaches

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a dozen mixed size Blaptica dubia(1 adult male, 3 adult female and small nymphs). Does anyone one know if I can mix them with my Orange heads in the same enclosure or would the orange heads eat the B. dubia nymphs? TIA.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would expect the orange heads to eat the others during molting. I haven't tried it, but my orangeheads are such voracious fiends for protien I wouldn't put it past them.

Wade

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suspected as much but just wanted confirmation before my curiosity got the better of me. My orange heads swarm on the dry leopard gecko food I give them from time to time. Its 78% crude protein according to the lable. They LOVE it.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try throwing in a previously frozen pinkie. They're like piranahs!

Wade

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll wait till I have a slighty larger population before I try that. Do they leave a clean little pinkie skeleton afterwards? Right now I have 24 adults and a couple hundred small nymphs.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
Do they leave a clean little pinkie skeleton afterwards?
Nope. It's just gone.

Wade

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard that Orange Heads are predatory when it comes to other insects, but a pinkey mouse!?. Now I have to get some for my collection of roaches:D .

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mixing

I have mixed a variety of roaches in the past (not on purpose), but the orange heads never bothered my dubia, distanti's, or death heads. The orange heads sometimes are wing bitters and also I have heard they sometimes eat babies, but I have not seen much of this. I would say if your planning on breeding keep them apart. otherwise they can be housed together.
James

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
food

Try flake fish food. They will go crazy.