Newest addition, "Yunnan Goliath Red" (S. s. de haani)

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my newest addition. I received it this week and I've gotta say that it's a pretty cool pede...

Sorry for my crumby pics. for some reason I can NEVER get pics of my pedes that are very worth while.

Thanks Todd! This guys awesome!

plo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats, Thats one sharp pede!:clap: :clap: :drool: :worship:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hay Ragnew,
I just got one too.If your came from the same place.She between 6" and 7"
and are great feeders.These are subadults and should have lots of life left in
them.So I wish you nothing but good luck with them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
AWESOME!!!!!:drool: :drool: mines on it's way too.............

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool! I know I'll end up with a few pedes one day..!

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the kind words folks! They definitely are an awesome pede!

Rob - You're right on the money man, this beastie is about 7" give or take a few. Man, you can really tell that they're gonna be a hefty pede you know what I mean? I've yet to feed mine, so today's the day :) Thanks for the kind words man! Good luck with yours and keep us posted with the S. hardwickei that you're attempting to breed :clap:

Pete - How goes it buddy? Long time no chat man! You'll love the Yunnan man, they're right up you're alley!

Thanks again folks :)!

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what are the physical differences between this subpinipes and the "malaysian giant"??/

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
>what are the physical differences between this subpinipes and the "malaysian giant"??/

If you mean appearance differences, the Malaysian Giant (or Thai Red-tip) has a more chocolate body color, pale yellow legs with red leg tips. It's stocky and some have reported them to be over 9".

The Yunnan Goliath Reds are more red in body color (orange pre-molt and dark red post-molt). The stergites will have black margins that will show more with size/age. They do not have the red tipped legs like the Malaysian giants.

Both are impressive pedes, but they look totally different.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Todd I'm glad you made the post.I was comparing the two pedes for a hour and
I was having a hard time with it.But you saved me a hour of thinking about it and I
couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
>what are the physical differences between this subpinipes and the "malaysian giant"??/

If you mean appearance differences, the Malaysian Giant (or Thai Red-tip) has a more chocolate body color, pale yellow legs with red leg tips. It's stocky and some have reported them to be over 9".

The Yunnan Goliath Reds are more red in body color (orange pre-molt and dark red post-molt). The stergites will have black margins that will show more with size/age. They do not have the red tipped legs like the Malaysian giants.

Both are impressive pedes, but they look totally different.
Thanks for the info Todd. I was actually comparing the two as well. The differences were pretty hard for me to see at first (minus the Thai's red tips on the legs).

And you're right, the two look completely different when they're larger. That was the most noticeable thing to me. I really prefer the Yunnan's more reddish body as opposed to the Thai's brownish. Both are awesome all in all!

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahhh man! What a bummer... The pede died last night :-( It's a bummer, but man, that's what happens sometimes.

Least the others are still doing great, but it sucks to lose any of them!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats to bad.Mine is still doing great.She still eating and drinking like a pig.
Thay remind me a lot of a Hong Kong Giant with a few small differences and
seems to be a fairly calm centipede.I can't wait to see how larger it grows
after a couple of years.Right now it's about 6-1/2 to 7".I was expecting to be
a little wider than it is.But it's only a medium size subadult.It's still a young
pede and has a lot time left in it's young life left to grow into a monster pede.
I will make a new post 3 or 4 months to keep you updated on it's progress.
Hopefully it will nice and thick like some of the pictures i've seen of the Yunan
Goliath and grow 9-1/2 plus.So I guess i'll have to give her some time to see
what she grows up into.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That sucks, was it acting strange? When I have a pede die, it usually acts diff for several days.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was pretty surprised to say the least. Mine was actually fairly calm and laid back as well, never seemed all to worried about being in the open. In a way, the perfect display pede (as opposed to my S. multidens, S. angulata angulata and Chinese Tiger Legs). Her appetite was great, I fed her three large crickets once a week and she never refused. Definitely keep us posted with yours Rob.

Gala, you know, the only thing I'd noticed at first was that the pede never hid. That didn't really worry me as I've had other S.s. de haani that acted the same way... That all changed last night around 10pm, I was doing the usual rounds and when I checked her out she was doing the rear leg dragging (last four or so segments had very little movement to them) that I've seen other pedes do before they passed away. I was hoping it was going to pull through, but the others that I've had drag themselves in the past didn't, so I was expecting the worst... When I woke this morning she was in the same place, and had no movement. Limp and lifeless.

Sucks man, but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles... :(

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahh man that does suck:( sorry to hear that,yeah i know what ya mean about them,sometimes it just happens without any signs,but then some do give you a sign,been down that road too,mine is doing great...........so far.......don't want to jinx myself. is that the only yunnan you have?.sorry again for your loss.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks alot Pete, I appreciate it man. Yes sir, that was the only Yunnan I had in the collection at the moment. I'm tempted to throw an order for another one, but I think I'll hold off for now. Still have the other pedes and they're all going strong, not to mention the preordered ones from the Guyana shipment.

I think I'll call it good for now and leave the collection as it is.... or so I say at the moment haha.