Substrate EXPERIENCE not opinons.....

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Sorry for the harsh title, looking for more of a general pool of happenings rather than random speculation.....not that speculation never helps, and random is great at times.
Anyone here have experience with using organic potting soils with pedes? I used to use peat/sphangum/potting soil with no drainage filler (ie perlite or vermiculite) but am stuck with nothing but organic Fox Farms ocean blend atm. (all I have....roomate used the remainder of my peat mix w/o asking on monday....:embarrassed: )
I may just leave the pedelings o thier current sphangum untill I can make my regular mix......"tigerlegs".

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alhtough we have not used organic soil mixes with pedes, when we used them with our tarantulas it lead to some pretty intense fungi, even in the drier enclosures. Our mix was, however, a "black earth" mix with very high organic content, which I believe lead to the mushroom growth. Hope that helps

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just started using this stuff, already made Coconut husk, but because of the way they treat it, it can resist mold/mildew/bacteria. So far so good.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ps with my exparance of potting soil(from a garden place) all natural and no chemicals,

would not use agian even though its cheep
not steral and yes lots of fingi bloom
bad smell over time
and the stuff breakds down fast
NOT RECOMENDED SPEND THE EXTRA$ AND GET STUFF MADE FOR UR ANIMAL!

zimzee

Arachnopeon
amazon centipede

I have been using organic soil mixed with a bit of vermiculite ever since I had my centipede and have had no problems what so ever and with my centipede being from the Amazon the substrate has to be kept moist.I have had no problems with mould and my centipede seems very happy but just do not use an already opened bag of organic soil as I did to top up the tank once I had moved the heat mat onto the side of the tank. I did and got loads of little flies that really do my head in and other things such as tiny slugs and worms :mad: but all in all my centipede is fine {D

Last edited: