Hatian Giant?

Halfbreed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looking at getting my first pede. I am considering a Hatian Giant. Can anyone give me some good information on them?

german shepard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agree with the post above......BUT?

First off welcome to the Pede addiction! The Haitian Giant (depending on species), some get much larger than 6-7". I have 2 Scolopendra Alternans (Haitian Giants) and both are pushing 8-9"
With that being said, they might not be the first Pede to start off with. They are highly strung, especially when being feed. If you have no experience with Centipedes I would recommend a simple Scolopendra Polymorpha. They are one of the cheapist to buy and one of the more common species avaliable. Others I have that are a little more docile (if you can use that in Pedes) are the Heros family. Some of the most beautiful in coloration avaliable in the USA, are from the "Good Ole USA". The Heros Heros, Heros Arizonesis & Heros Castinecips, all are extremely attractive species.

Good luck and once again welcome to the addiction (you can never have just one) german shepard (Marty)

Halfbreed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I was looking at the Hatians because I found one REALLY cheap. But one thing I learned keeping Ts is start slow so I will definitely take your advice and look at the two species you mentioned. SHould be getting something in a day or two. My wife is gonna kill me though. I tend to get addicted with this hobby and can not stop. Have been waiting to get into pedes for a long time.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
'Pedes are a great marriage test. Didn't tell her, you say? Ouch. She's really understanding, right? Sincere & friendly advice: Keep your 'pede on lockdown. If it escapes before 6 months is up, either your 'pede keeping or your marriage is finished. If she develops an interest in any invert and/or pet, offer no resistance. In fact, surprise her with very her own creature. I wish you the best of luck...please keep us updated when it arrives{D {D {D

Halfbreed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh she knows. She just knows I can't help myself. She has given in to my invert addiction. On the good side I am easy to please. I love bugs! She has shown an interest in my new P Imirnias and she adores my MM G Rosea so I am running with that. I thought about getting her an A versi. I will defintiely be sure to keep it on lockdown though. I know a pede bite can be nasty. This is something she said gives her the shivers.

Halfbreed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well everybody I have just secured two Scolopendra Polymorpha pedes! They are around 1-2 inches so they are young. I will definitely post pics when I get them in. They won't be shipped until after the holiday. Here we go, my first step into pede addiction!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Oh she knows. She just knows I can't help myself. She has given in to my invert addiction. On the good side I am easy to please. I love bugs! She has shown an interest in my new P Imirnias and she adores my MM G Rosea so I am running with that. I thought about getting her an A versi. I will defintiely be sure to keep it on lockdown though. I know a pede bite can be nasty. This is something she said gives her the shivers.
Perfect(laughing evilly)! My wife couldn't sleep when I brought home the first 'pede. Now she has her own invert collection(including a 6" LP)...but no 'pedes.

Halfbreed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't wait (wicked little grin)! That's cool your wife has her own collection. I can only hope mine will get on board like that one day!! Still no pedes though? I hear that it takes a certain kind of person to keep pedes. I just can't resist though. I have two Scolopendra Polymorphas coming! I will work my way up from there but knowing me it won't be long. When I started keeping Ts I went from 1 to 38 in six months!