A funny pede story.

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I just got an 8" Cherry Red, 6" S. Mutidens (Chinese Beauty) and a 5" Red Headed Hero's and a 1.5" Scolopendra (Barbados) to add to my collection the other day.
That Cherry red has incredible biting power. It was trying to bite through the plastic shoebox I had it in while I was preparing it's enclosure. But that's not the story.

I had placed the Barbados pede in a small deli cup with some substrate. I was tired from a long days work and so I took a couple hours nap not realizing the deli cup had a hole in it. When I awoke, the pede was gone. I spent an hour searching high and low, moving furniture and lifting capet for the missing pede. I even looked in the vacuum cleaner bag. All to no avail.
So I gave up hope thinking that the pede found some crevice in the kitchen or crawled out my door. I figured that it would die off in a week so there was no worry of an 8" monster attackign me at night while I am alseep.
I went into the other room and sat down at my computer. Within a few minutes I felt something crawling on my leg. Lo and behold it was my missing pede. I was relieved to have found it.

BrysonCJ

Arachnopeon
Few are the times when I would be so happy to feel an 8" pede crawling up my leg...

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello BrysonCJ, the 'pede is not 8" yet...
John, I am glad you found that 'pede. It is an awesome little bugger that will get to be a large monster :evil:
Hope all others are doing great as well.

Just for your information, I received an adult S. heros castaneiceps, possible female.

I will be posting pics and other info later in the night.

Glad to know you got your little guy back ;)

OR

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You got keep your eye on any pede becaue thay a one of the best escape
artist in the insect kingdom.If you think a hole,crack or seam looks to small for you pede to get it body threw.If there is any way possible he will find a way
and leave you scratching your head wondering how the hell did my pede get
out.

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You got keep your eye on any pede becaue thay a one of the best escape
artist in the insect kingdom.If you think a hole,crack or seam looks to small for you pede to get it body threw.If there is any way possible he will find a way
and leave you scratching your head wondering how the hell did my pede get
out.
yup!
i lost more than 30 mutilans plings in one night!!!:embarrassed: