retanking S. subspinipes

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so at first i was faced with a problem: i was going to get an M. velvetosoma, but my only free tank was a large KK and i didn't want to put it in there. then i realized that i could free up one of my 10-gallons by moving something into the KK. my blondi? no, she'd just need it later on. my subspinipes? hmm...

to make a long story short, i managed to catch one very agitated and confused centipede in a small KK and move her into the newly set-up large KK. good thing too, since she finally learned how to climb up the stuff on the corner of the glass tank. you know what i'm talking about.

this left the 10-gallon she was barely using to be redesigned for my addition-to-be. now if the darn thing will hurry up and dry! i'd add in some new substrate, but the LPS is fresh out of bricks (wasted half an hour walking there) and i put the excess mud in with my supply without thinking. no pics of that tank yet, but it looks pretty nice.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know how big your SS is, but I've had issues with smaller centipedes trying to escape between the top of the critter carrier and the lid...I haven't used them since just to be safe. Not sure if anyone else has had an issue; just my .02

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
she's 7", not counting the terminal legs. i've never had a problem with her escaping, but i don't know if that's the individual 'pede or my dumb luck.

i've had her for over a year now, got her from an LPS in August '08.

Last edited:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hear stories all the time about pedes escaping from KK's.So I would be careful if I was you.Pedes are real escape artists.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've read that they can chew through plastic.... So I would be very careful with that.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the concern, i'll keep a close on on her and take action the first time i see any trouble. but like i said, i've never had a problem before. while it's entirely possible this is out of sheer luck, i might just have a ditz pede. when she was in the 10-gallon, i've put my hand in there (against all common sense) to add moss and...nothing.

Last edited:

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've held my S. subspinipes dehaani and it usually doesnt mind my cage maintance. My new S. subspinipes (Vietnamese) who seems ALOT meaner.

Just after hearing that they could chew through the plastic I chose to not use a KK just to be on the safe side. I have my new dehaani in a 10 gallon. Thinking about maybe dropping him down to a 5 and my Vietnamese in a 2 1/2 gallon tank.

Alot better to be safe then having a pede running around loose in your room.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup...i had some mutilans squeeze through the side of the top of the KK and the lid to get out.