How too..

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was wondering My wife bought a couple of meals worms [about 50] for a sling we no longer have [damn cats] I was wondering how do you go about culturing them right now there sitting in the fridge but I am hopping for a feeder coloney from them..any help is appreciated thank you

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are easy, just put them in a tank/tub on a substrate of bran or oats.I've even cultured them on cheerios.For moisture you can put pieces of apple, carrot, potatoes etc. They are larva for a few months, around 10 weeks before they pupate.After they pupate you just wait until the beetles come out.Once they are out they will start breeding, they will lay eggs in the substrate and on the veggies.After a few more weeks you will start seeing tiny little mealworms in the substrate. They are extremely tiny when they first hatch.

jaijjs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whatever you do..Don't do what I did years ago:8o !! I purchased a bunch for trout fishing along with the giant mealworms. I bought some bulk oat and wheat bran and dumped it in a container. I added some slices of apple in the container. I took a batch and put them in a portable container and headed out to the lake where I limited out. Anyway, when I returned home the mealworms were EVERYWHERE in the spare bedroom!! You see the container that I put them in was a STYROFOAM cooler!! They drilled through it in nothing flat....:(

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, a styrophoam cooler is a definate no no.hehe I always used to use 12-15 quart rubbermaid tubs with around 1/2" or so of substrate.Also, while at a store tonight I found a (new?) product I've never seen before.Substrate made specifically for mealworms.Didn't get a chance to check the price on the stuff but it looked good.Also came in a nice big clear plastic jar.That would be reason enough for me to buy it. :}