Got me a mantis ootheca

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went to an insect show today and me and a friend bought 2 mantis ootheca.

I held one mantis, it was a greenish one and it was very cool! It is supposed to be living in southern Quebec (Canada) (also northern US I guess), it is probably a Chinese mantid..? The ootheca is from the same mantis.

Anyways, the guy told us to keep the ootheca outside for winter and get it back in when it'll get hotter, then the babies should get out. As the species does live in Quebec, it's no problem to keep the ootheca outside in -30C weather. Is everything right?

BTW: I'll put the ootheca in a non-heated building outside, I won't put outside under snow.

Thanks, Frank

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is the Chinese, you don't need to put the ootheca outside unless you want it to hatch later. IME, they'll hatch around 30-40 days after being laid if kept indoors. You just have to be prepared to care for the hundreds of babies!

Wade

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I'm pretty sure it's a chinese mantis, as there were no illegal animals being sold at the show and keeping insects that aren't from Canada is illegal.

Oh, so I could keep it warm as soon as I'm ready to get alot of babies! Are there any mantis species that need to be outside in cold area to have successful oothecas?

If I start "unfrozing" the ootheca, will I need to progresly unfreeze it?

Thanks! Frank

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some northern-ranging species do require a cooling period, but the Chinese can take it or leave it.

It shouldn't be necessary to slowly bring it up to room temperature. They go through pretty dramatic changes outdoors.

One advantage of waiting for spring is that you could release any you didn't feel like raising yourself.

Wade

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, being able to release them in the forest is a big advantage. Well, I think I'll wait until spring. How long should it take before I get babies after I start heating up the ootheca in spring?

Thanks, Frank

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's hard to say, since it partially depends on how soon after being laid they got cooled. To be safe, you should probably plan on bringing it in a couple of weeks before it really warms up. You don't want to miss them!

Wade

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, thanks for all these informations :)

Frank