On the rare chance...

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anybody know anything about the false water cobra (Hydrodinastes gigas)? I really like the way they look and have been wanting one but I want as much info as I can gather when dealing with a snake like this. I have done research (as much as I can) and I've been debating this for several months now. Most of what I have dealt with snake wise are colubrids and boids. It seems that people have many controversial ideas about them (one thing and then another is said) and I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them on here. If I decide I want this snake I'll contact the breeder for info but... in my opinion... you can never have too much info.

If anybody knows personally and is willing to answer my question, thanks in advance. If Someone finds finds a valuable book or link lead me to it please. I might have already read it but overdone is better than under-done. Thanks again!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've owned a pair of large FWC's. They are impressive snakes, to say the least. Mine were handleable, but they NEVER seem to sit still-they are like ADHD snakes. They are extrmely alert and always seem interested in everything that is going on their room. Being a species from a warm climate, they will need supplementary heat in their enclosure, similar to a boa or python. The feeding response of these snakes is so intense that it's scary, and it even puts Retics to shame...which is saying a LOT if you have ever had a Retic! I'd recommend a very long set of feeding tongs, since a FWC will come charging out at you as soon as you open the cage if they think they are being fed and will lunge and grab anything that moves. Venom potential aside, these snakes have very powerful jaws; I've seen them bite jumbo rats so hard that the rat's intestines and eyeballs popped out. They should never be fed live, because they will grab a rodent just anywhere, and are likely to be badly bitten themselves in the process. The other downside to a FWC is that they have a fast metabolism, and they poop like nobody's business, like a Cribo or Indigo. Other than that, they are a very rewarding species to keep.

pitbulllady

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pitbulllady said it very well . . .

Just to reiterate the fact the the feeding response is scary with these snakes.

They are also midly venomous, but considered "safe" because they are rear-fanged.
But, their pure ferocity compounds that danger, because you prolly will get bit . . .
I wouldnt want to get bitten by a large one, itd ruin the day at the very least . . .

Now, I have seen individuals that are very tame and handleable, but that is the rare exception.

They are an impressive display animal only, imo.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've owned a pair of large FWC's. They are impressive snakes, to say the least. Mine were handleable, but they NEVER seem to sit still-they are like ADHD snakes. They are extrmely alert and always seem interested in everything that is going on their room. Being a species from a warm climate, they will need supplementary heat in their enclosure, similar to a boa or python. The feeding response of these snakes is so intense that it's scary, and it even puts Retics to shame...which is saying a LOT if you have ever had a Retic! I'd recommend a very long set of feeding tongs, since a FWC will come charging out at you as soon as you open the cage if they think they are being fed and will lunge and grab anything that moves. Venom potential aside, these snakes have very powerful jaws; I've seen them bite jumbo rats so hard that the rat's intestines and eyeballs popped out. They should never be fed live, because they will grab a rodent just anywhere, and are likely to be badly bitten themselves in the process. The other downside to a FWC is that they have a fast metabolism, and they poop like nobody's business, like a Cribo or Indigo. Other than that, they are a very rewarding species to keep.

pitbulllady
Thanks guys,
with any luck the breeder I desire to get them from will still have them next week (with buying presents for the family and buying a pile of new frozen rodents online I need to make sure I have all the requirements before buying one...)

And a feeding response greater than a retic would be one heck of a thing to see :D I feed all my snakes f/t and use tongs even on my snakes that aren't considered remotely dangerous. This is a species I've wanted for a while and I'm finally comfortable with the idea of keeping them now that I have more experience.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess I came upon some bad luck :( when looking at the specimen I was interested in it was in poor condition with mites. I cannot afford to bring a snake like that into my house with other snakes unfortunately. I still want one of these amazing creatures but I do not know who else sells them at the moment. Hopefully sometime in the future I'll come across a healthy one. If only all breeders were responsible. :mad: