Iguana is frustrating

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As soon as the cold wave hit down here, my adult male ig stopped eating. It never gets below 75 in my house however I did increase the heat to his enclosure. He hasn't eaten for 2 weeks now and he's not as active but not losing a lot of weight either. Any suggestions? Is it just a winter fast or am I right to be worried?

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My leopard gecko recently went a couple of weeks without any interest at all in food, but he also hasn't lost any weight to speak of. It is my knowledge that when their tails get REALLY thick they can go for surprising periods of time without need sustenance. I don't know much about iguanas though, sorry. Did you trying searching the Net for answers? Otherwise you'll have to wait for someone with more experience than me to answer.

EDIT: Hey, look at this:
http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23361

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When seasons changed, a decrease in appetite was common in my iguanas. If temperatures, humidity, and food offered, are correct, AND provided he is not losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. You may want to try and offer other foods (fruits or veggies that you don't add too oftern) to see if that stimulates his appetits, but missing a few weeks of food isn't a big deal for larger iguanas.

Out of curiosity has his color changed much? I noticed my males from certain regions would go through a seasonal color change as well.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When seasons changed, a decrease in appetite was common in my iguanas. If temperatures, humidity, and food offered, are correct, AND provided he is not losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. You may want to try and offer other foods (fruits or veggies that you don't add too oftern) to see if that stimulates his appetits, but missing a few weeks of food isn't a big deal for larger iguanas.

Out of curiosity has his color changed much? I noticed my males from certain regions would go through a seasonal color change as well.
Thanks for the reply. His color seems to be the same. He is just not as active and still hasn't eaten however his stomach is plump and there is still not any significant weight loss. This is only my second winter season with him so I'm just a bit worried since I don't recall him fasting this much last year. How long should he go without eating before I get worried?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. His color seems to be the same. He is just not as active and still hasn't eaten however his stomach is plump and there is still not any significant weight loss. This is only my second winter season with him so I'm just a bit worried since I don't recall him fasting this much last year. How long should he go without eating before I get worried?
As long as the tail base remains plump and the behavior is somewhat normal, then I wouldn't worry. Are you sure your iguana is a male? Females will produce eggs and that can cause their appetite to diminish.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh yes, he's definitely male. I talked to my boyfriend since he's at home more during the day and he says that he's active and climbing around. I guess he just sleeps when I'm home in the morning and at night. He's still a fatty {D

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yes, he's definitely male. I talked to my boyfriend since he's at home more during the day and he says that he's active and climbing around. I guess he just sleeps when I'm home in the morning and at night. He's still a fatty {D
If he's still chubby and active it could just be he has other things on his mind that are overwhelming his desire to eat. I notice that with a few of my lizards.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. We just finished building his new jungle gym so he can get higher to the lighting now as well. Hope he likes it.