Mi. Eastern Tiger salamander feeding pics

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I decided to snap a few pics while I was feeding this guy. I found him I think in oct. at the park where I take my dog. It was a cold, brisk day and it was trying to go down some small rodent burrow. I picked him up and he was stiff and cold. He started to wiggle in my hands once he warmed up.
Heather and I had caught and released a blue spotted and tiger salamander a few weeks earlier(I see blues all the time, but this is the first tiger that I saw), and we contemplated taking the tiger but didn't. Well the second one I caught, I decided to keep.

What a beast this thing is! Eats like a champ. Isn't shy tat all. Hell, s/he tries to bite my finger. Definitely recommend these guys as pets.
Enjoy the pics.

Thanks for looking!

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those guys are really neat. I had one a long time ago. :)
Heh, they are neat, aren't they? This guy/gal has so much personality it's unreal. Sometime when I am messing with my Ts, I look over and it's watching me, plotting.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, looks almost like the ones I see here! Except they were never this dark-skinned..

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
How long is it? Have you seen any other colorations there locally?

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long is it? Have you seen any other colorations there locally?
This is only the second one that I have seen here in Mi. It was caught in the same park as the first one, south-east Mi. It is about 5-6 inches. The other one I caught looked just like it.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That looks so similar to the yellow spotted salamander, how do you tell them apart?

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome! Tigers are great salamanders, sort of like the pacman frogs of the salamander world :razz:

Sometimes I'm still tempted to get another one of these.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He's so pretty. I have a Estern Tiger too and she has more olive colored spotting. Ever had yours grab onto your finger and shake its head? Silly thing tries to eat my fingers all the time but I also hand feed her:)

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I decided to snap a few pics while I was feeding this guy. I found him I think in oct. at the park where I take my dog. It was a cold, brisk day and it was trying to go down some small rodent burrow. I picked him up and he was stiff and cold. He started to wiggle in my hands once he warmed up.
Heather and I had caught and released a blue spotted and tiger salamander a few weeks earlier(I see blues all the time, but this is the first tiger that I saw), and we contemplated taking the tiger but didn't. Well the second one I caught, I decided to keep.

What a beast this thing is! Eats like a champ. Isn't shy tat all. Hell, s/he tries to bite my finger. Definitely recommend these guys as pets.
Enjoy the pics.

Thanks for looking!
From what I just read, it wasn't trying to go down a rodent burrow. it was trying to go down it's own burrow. They live in burrows up to 2 feet under the ground. From what I read, it sounds like you were lucky to have even seen it. They spend most of their time on their burrow.

I also just read it isn't good to hold them. the salts on our hands are harmful to all salamanders. And be sure to give chlorine free water. chlorine is toxic to them.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I doubt theuys ever dig their own burrows. Instead they appropriate abandoned burrows. Here in California the California tiger salamander is very dependent on a healthy ground squirrel population for this reason.(not to mention a vernal pool and no development!)

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I doubt theuys ever dig their own burrows. Instead they appropriate abandoned burrows. Here in California the California tiger salamander is very dependent on a healthy ground squirrel population for this reason.(not to mention a vernal pool and no development!)
Just saying what I read when I did a google search. These were care sheets I read and also read it on wiki. But this was for the Eastern Tiger Salamander I read on. I don't know about the California version.

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Owned a couple over the years. Awsome critter. AGGRESSIVE EATER is an understatement. My kids and I have said that if these got huge, they'd make an awsome preditor.

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the compliments everybody.
It was definitely trying to go down some type of rodent burrow. The ground was clay-like and all packed down(it was a bike trail).Much to hard for it to burrow in. The hole was also to big for it to make IMO.
:)