• Occasionally and is a terrier

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Occasionally and isn't a terrier

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was talking with my aunt today, and she was telling me that her Jack Russel likes to sleep under the covers. My unknown breed terrier HAS to sleep under the covers, hot, cold, or freezing, she is under the covers cuddling.
Does anyone else's dog do this? My girl will claw at you till you get her a blanket if necessary. Blankets are a must!
If your dog does sleep under blankets, what breed is your dog? I'm curious if this is somehow a breed thing?

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, my dog HAS to sleep under the covers. Shes a papillion. If she can't sleep under the covers she walks around your head ALL night until you let her under.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha that is awesome. I have come to the conclusion that my theory was wrong as can be! Some dogs are just weird.
My girl is worse then your papillon (one of my favorite breeds, btw). She will claw at you till the blanket magically allows passage.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a yorkie and he sleeps in a doggy bed on the floor right next to mine. :)

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a puggle (he's 3/4 pug and 1/4 beagle) and he absolutely has to sleep under the covers. I think it's the pug in him, they're comfort dogs. He will jump up on the bed, paw at the blanket until I lift it up, he'll circle around and then lay right against me. He'll only sleep under the covers if there's someone else in the bed, though. If there isn't, he'll usually sleep on his own bed or in our dirty laundry.
Cassandra

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a beachon/poodle and he HAS to sleep under blankets. and than when he is sleeping under the blankets he kicks you while hes sleeping, and he is always rolling over.:rolleyes:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have large working dogs and the only terrier I have is a 40-pound American Pit Bull Terrier. Most of my dogs weigh within the 75-100-pound range, so no, they do not sleep in or on the bed with me, although my cat does.
I've got some problems with people allowing their dogs to share their bed, actually, since I've personally seen many cases(and most dog trainers will back me up on this)where the dog began exhibiting classic dominant-aggressive behavior as a result, to the extent in some cases where the dog began forcing the humans to sleep elsewhere while it kept the bed. The owner should be the Alpha in the "pack", and the Alpha generally sleeps in the best place available, so allowing the dog to share that space plants in the dog's mind that it has a very high and important rank in the pack, which can really set the stage for inappropriate behaviors, including biting. Often, the owner will maintain, after the dog has injured someone, that the dog had "never shown aggression before" and boast about how the dog had slept in the bed with them or their children, failing to realize that the dog was simply asserting its dominant rank, a rank more or less given over to it by the owners. I'm not saying every dog that sleeps in bed with its owner will turn out to be biter or show dominant behavior, but a significant number do, and in breeds noted for an assertive attitude, it's something to watch out for.

pitbulllady

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My Belgian Malinois mix and Smooth Collie sleep in crates with beds and a blanket both will on an occasion bury themselves under the blanket or their bed on chilly nights.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have large working dogs and the only terrier I have is a 40-pound American Pit Bull Terrier. Most of my dogs weigh within the 75-100-pound range, so no, they do not sleep in or on the bed with me, although my cat does.
I've got some problems with people allowing their dogs to share their bed, actually, since I've personally seen many cases(and most dog trainers will back me up on this)where the dog began exhibiting classic dominant-aggressive behavior as a result, to the extent in some cases where the dog began forcing the humans to sleep elsewhere while it kept the bed. The owner should be the Alpha in the "pack", and the Alpha generally sleeps in the best place available, so allowing the dog to share that space plants in the dog's mind that it has a very high and important rank in the pack, which can really set the stage for inappropriate behaviors, including biting. Often, the owner will maintain, after the dog has injured someone, that the dog had "never shown aggression before" and boast about how the dog had slept in the bed with them or their children, failing to realize that the dog was simply asserting its dominant rank, a rank more or less given over to it by the owners. I'm not saying every dog that sleeps in bed with its owner will turn out to be biter or show dominant behavior, but a significant number do, and in breeds noted for an assertive attitude, it's something to watch out for.

pitbulllady
I would agree with this, especially with little dogs people don't pay attention to, with their barking and nipping and such. Although my girl sleeps in our bed, she gets shoved out of our way. She moves if we want her spot on the couch, and she isn't allowed to bark incessantly (barking to alert us to people outside is all right). She actually started aggravating other dogs at the park, and then jumping in my lap, but I would dump her off and make her fend for herself, lol. I refuse to have a yippy little dog, or one that thinks she is in charge!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a miniature pinscer that goes under the covers. Sometimes he'll crawl all the way to the end of the bed and lay his head over my ankles.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i don't have dogs, but my sister does. she has big dogs, the smallest is a bull terrier (he is sleeps in a crate in her room, with blankets in the crate). the rest are bull dog, pit bull and a huge boxer mix. they sleep in the 2nd bedroom - one in a crate with blankets (and a cat), the rest on a mattress also with blankets. in winter time she will tuck them in, and if it gets too cold for them in the room, they'll all sleep in her room on cushens next to her bed, covered up.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
My dog sleeps on the coffee table and normally sits in a chair . I'm not being funny he really does this . I posted pic of this a week or two past . He'll get on the bed but will only stay for a minute or two .

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have 3 dogs. one is a big ole' mutt from the shelter who hates being under the covers. one is a cockapoo that is almost all cockerspaniel that hates covers too. and one is a chiuaha that HAS to be under the covers. if the covers are at my feet that is where he will be!:D

kimantha

Arachnopeon
undercover doggies

I have a beagle, and she will sleep under the covers all day if you let her. If she get's overheated, she'll surface so her head is showing, but the majority of the time she goes down around our feet so she doesn't get squished.

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've a staffy and she loves sleeping on thebed, not under the covers, but just ontop of you in an akward way that you cant move.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my chihuahua used to sleep under the covers with me, but I stopped bringing her to bed with me to curb her separation anxieties (now she sleeps with our mastiff, in my brothers room- the dog gets the whole bottom bunk mostly to himself!), and now when I do let her sleep in my room, she usually just finds a place to sleep on the floor (generally, a pile of laundry- yes, I'm a slob), unless its really cold, then she'll come under the covers again.