Upcoming UJRadio Show: Chad Brown & Asian bamboo Rat Snakes (O. coxi)

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just added for tomorrow night...USARk President Andrew Wyatt checks in with new updates on the battle against S373!!!!!

Call in with your questions on S373, arm yourselves!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The next Radio show will be next weekend, my guests were stranded at an airport far from home for this weekend's episode which will be re-scheduled.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thai Bamboo Ratsnakes (Oreophis porphyraceus coxi)
These are gorgeous! :drool: It's too bad they are fiesty, because I don't own any snakes, otherwise I'd make an exception for something like this, though I have no clue if they're even in the pet trade where I live, I just looked them up. :cool:

Last edited:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

This is my female, she's a total sweetheart. I can reach in and grab her and she just chills out in my hand. It's a very visually oriented snake (that's why some all them red racers) and so as long as I move slow and deliberate she's cool. If I make sudden moves, she responds by darting away a short distance.

I reach into her tub all the time and she never responds aggressively...UNLESS!
Just like Chad mentions in the radio interview, these snakes have one of the strongest feeding responses I have ever seen! When they smell a rodent they will hunt down and attempt to kill ANYTHING that moves...totally psycho feeding response!

But overall my experience has been that this snake is very mellow and not nearly as aggressive or defensive as other rat snakes. On top of being beautiful...they are positively the easiest snakes I have ever kept. No heating and they eat rodents even before their first sheds after hatching.

I keep mine just like I do my Rhacodactylus! Even in the same rack in a room that stays about 68-72F

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, that's a beautiful photo!!! Interesting info about the species and your experience too, thanks.