Iguana doing poorly

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So my ig hasn't been eating and since he has noticeably losing weight I took him to the vet today. They felt a mass around his stomach area so they gave him an enema and tube fed him some high fiber food to see if it could be pushed out. No good. So they took an xray and did an ultrasound free of charge (the ultrasound not the xray). There was a mass but they were unable to tell what it was. The possibilities range from hemotoma, impaction, or cancer (which would be unusual because he's only three).
However, when I got home, they called and said they noticed on the xray they saw something as possible ovarian follicles (I think that's what they said. I'm not brushed up in anatomy) and were going to get a second opinion from the doctor that has more experience. If Precious does turn out to be a she (despite large femoral pores) they said s/he was showing all the signs of ovarian disease which could be treated with either a hormone-depressing shot or just a spay and they generally recover very well. I'm crossing my fingers for female. Precious also has enlarged kidneys but they aren't sure yet if he has the beginnings of renal disease. :(

Edit: I forgot to add they also did some SQ fluids to rehydrate him since he hasn't been eating.

Last edited:

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good luck man:(

my first herp was a green Iguana and she was awsome.

if this helps get a large bin and put him/her in it and spray with warm water. and buy a small sprayer and put pedialyte in it and spray his head and face hopfuly he laps it up:)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've used pedialyte before to rehabilitate some babies. The thing is, this ig HATES soaking and being even looked at {D . He will be getting soaks however misting him for some reason makes him very angry :rolleyes:

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry about your iguana. I had a male that had a similar problem about 12-13 years ago. He had got some kind of infection in his teste area from a liver problem. After being fixed, and given weeks worth of shots and powder meds he recovered. I have heard of many iguana though that have eaten something they could not pass like coins, socks, and other small unedibles. Good luck.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Update:
They did another ultrasound to get a second opinion. They still can't tell if it's ovaries or not. The other doctor said Precious is very masculine but it's not uncommon for igs to be hermaphroditic. They gave him some more SQ fluids and sent him home for me to monitor through the weekend. He ate a couple mouthfuls today but he still doesn't have his previous voracious attitude. He still has a golf ball sized mass so even if he does start eating, I might still have to do something about it if it's not an impaction.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Update:
They did another ultrasound to get a second opinion. They still can't tell if it's ovaries or not. The other doctor said Precious is very masculine but it's not uncommon for igs to be hermaphroditic. They gave him some more SQ fluids and sent him home for me to monitor through the weekend. He ate a couple mouthfuls today but he still doesn't have his previous voracious attitude. He still has a golf ball sized mass so even if he does start eating, I might still have to do something about it if it's not an impaction.
Okay so apparently I've lost my editing privileges because my edit icon has disappeared. {D
Update: Precious defecated today! His appetite isn't completely normal still and so he will still be going to the vet on Tuesday to see if the mass is gone. If not, I've got to figure out some way to afford more advanced care. I guess so much for my savings but he's worth it. :eek:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay so apparently I've lost my editing privileges because my edit icon has disappeared. {D
Update: Precious defecated today! His appetite isn't completely normal still and so he will still be going to the vet on Tuesday to see if the mass is gone. If not, I've got to figure out some way to afford more advanced care. I guess so much for my savings but he's worth it. :eek:
You can't edit your posts after 24 hours.

Glad to hear your iguana is doing better.

Cass