Just to torture all you BP lovers...

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh Cass, that's just cruel!! ;)
I know, I had to share my suffering. You should join www.reptilescanada.com, it has a great classifieds section, especially if you're looking into getting more BPs and geckos like you said on that other thread. There are also a lot of interesting articles and stuff, it's a good forum. We found our ATB and Tokay through that site, and what's good is it's reliable people unlike some of the stuff you see on Kijiji or what not.

Cassandra

NBREP

Arachnopeon
Balls are to boring

See when I was doing non-venomous snakes.The only pythons I had were carpets,GTPs,and Retics.

But I guess not every one has the same taste...lol

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I know, I had to share my suffering. You should join www.reptilescanada.com, it has a great classifieds section, especially if you're looking into getting more BPs and geckos like you said on that other thread. There are also a lot of interesting articles and stuff, it's a good forum. We found our ATB and Tokay through that site, and what's good is it's reliable people unlike some of the stuff you see on Kijiji or what not.

Cassandra
Im pretty sure Im actually on reptilescanada, I just get so distracted here hee hee

Shell

Staff member
The link didnt work for me either, but Im familiar with that website already, just mentioning it is torture. I really need a rack so I can get more snakes!

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cass thank you for showing me this site!! The color morphs are so cool! Top 3
1.Albino Lavender + Piebald
2.Super Phantom Goblin
3.Desert Ghost

Btw if anyone knows were i can find any of these for sell please let me know. Once again thanks Cass awesome post.

Matt

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes it works now. Hmmm Royal Pythons aren't my thing. I love snakes, just never been a fan of one of the most common snakes in the trade. I think it being so common is why I never got into them. I am more into Boas than Pythons. But if I had to pick one, I would get the "Phantom Lesser".
Though they are very pretty (my favorites have always been piebald) they aren't my thing either. I like my snakes with some attitude and BPs are just kinda...there. {D They do have some of the most interesting morphs I've seen. Are the blue-eyed lucys still around 20k in the states?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I wasn't a big fan of them either until we got a few. I love how sweet they are. After trying to wrangle with our ATB, I like the calm and docile nature of our balls. We don't have much space, so balls are the biggest we can get.

When we first started keeping snakes, my favourites were the colubrids, and Mackenzie loves Pituophis, but I think that I am a python girl through and through. I can't wait until we get out on our own, the first snake I'll be buying will be a blood python.

I don't know about the states, but I saw a blue eyed lucy at one of the shows a while back and I think it was around $7500. Not bad. I'm glad pieds here are actually getting to an affordable price. The cheapest one I've seen is $1250 which is actually pretty decent considering they were much more than that when they first came out and even up until a few years ago.

Cass

Shell

Staff member
I'm glad pieds here are actually getting to an affordable price. The cheapest one I've seen is $1250 which is actually pretty decent considering they were much more than that when they first came out and even up until a few years ago.

Cass
Same here :) A pied is definately on the top of my "must have" list.

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cant wait in 20 years to see what arises with all this inbreeding and promoting of genetic defects to get those superlesserpinstripebumblebeehypo pie-bald morphs. Don't get me wrong, some of these snakes are really pretty, but some of them are just plain ridiculous. They look like a pretty, "plain" ball python. And they charge some absurd amount of $ for it. I was at a show this month and they had BPs(of course). It's interesting to see the price fluxuation. They had a Superlemonblastalbino-Het for piebaldlavenderchoclate(I'm kidding, I dunno what it was, I know it was 5k though.). And then there were the "normals" all thrown together in a 10gal. I think those were 10$ a piece. It's kind of sad to me. The normal, less desirable ones get the cold shoulder IMO.
:)

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome snakes.. I loved BP's. My wife is horribly afraid and won't let me keep them. I can respect that though.. she lets me get away with just about anything else. Good luck getting one.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I still remember when the only ball pythons were normals, and the very rare and legendary albinos were the only "morph" and those were few and far between...most people had never seen a live one (only photos). Now there are so many concoctions its unbelievable (as Ritzman just pointed out). Future morphs are going to be really crazy.... already I can see projects that will lead to: Scaleless, Red, Glass (no pigment/semi-opaque skin), Candy Cane, Zebra Stripe, and more. Of course, all of these traits combined each combines with the existing traits and themselves to make several hundred morphs or more. And that's in the next (probably) 20 years or so.... unless some Jacka$$ senators pass laws against pythons this year..... (lookup S373).

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The BP situation in Canada is actually really good. Normal males still go for about $50 (if you get it from a show, $100 if you get it from a petshop) and our normal female was a steal for $65. I think that since the numbers of really legit ball breeders in Canada are pretty low, they have to ensure that their animals are healthy. The last show we were at, they had a 30 gallon full of morphs, which I thought was pretty cool.

It advances, just like everything else. You can buy morphs of every snake now, and even lizards - with beardies and cresties being two of the best examples. It's what people like, and I think it's cool to watch how different morphs are being made and in order to make these morphs you have to have a good understanding of genetics, and it encourages people to learn more about them. Before I got into ball pythons, I didn't even know what 'het' meant, but now I know tons about what you have to breed to get a certain morphs and which are co-dom and which are recessive. It encourages your average Joe snake keeper to want to learn.

Like I said, luckily the ball situation in Canada is really good, because with a small community (compared to the states or Europe) of reptile keepers, word of mouth spreads like wildfire and if you want to be a successful ball breeder and seller here, you've got to have sharp, clean animals, healthy snakes.

Personally I think the colubrid sitatuation is worse. Of all the shows I've been to, I can count on one hand how many normal corns I've seen. No one wants a normal corn, especially when you get get a good morph for $35. At least normal balls are still being sold.

Cass

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some of those are pretty nice... But nothing beats retics for me.

I love my purple albino.