One of my favorite snakes in my collection

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats a very beautiful female you have there...If she is a she lol....Looks heavy...How much does she weigh?

You feed live or pre killed?

What do you feed?

I had to get ride of my red tail boas because I have a four month old daughter and had to get something I could handle on my own so I have jungle carpet pythons.

I'm thinking about getting a hog island boa because if I recall correctly they don't get too big because since they are on an island they can only get as big as the biggest meal they can eat and they have a limited amount of food choices.

I think that's how it goes.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a very beautiful female you have there...If she is a she lol....Looks heavy...How much does she weigh?

You feed live or pre killed?

What do you feed?

I had to get ride of my red tail boas because I have a four month old daughter and had to get something I could handle on my own so I have jungle carpet pythons.

I'm thinking about getting a hog island boa because if I recall correctly they don't get too big because since they are on an island they can only get as big as the biggest meal they can eat and they have a limited amount of food choices.

I think that's how it goes.
I'm not quite following that train of thought, there. I've got Colombian Boas, which are often erronously sold in the pet trade as "Red-Tailed Boas", even though anyone can compare my snakes with Squamata's snake here and see that there is a BIG difference in appearance, and I have had true Red-Tails, Surinams, Brazilian BCC's, and Peruvians. I've also had many Coastal and Jungle Carpets, and have a male JCP that's over eight feet long now. I've had a 10-foot female Coastal, so I'm not sure I can follow the logic that a Carpet is any smaller or easier to handle than a Common Boa. My present JCP is as mellow and laid-back as a snake can be without being dead, but that's not the case with many Morelia. I've had some that were downright nasty, and they're a faster snake than a Boa Constrictor. I'm only 5'2", but I've never had a Boa I couldn't handle on my own, and I've had some big ones, but I HAVE had a few Carpets that were a real handful, that I would not have been comfortable having to deal with on my own. They can be more like Retics than Boas, if they happen to have an attitude.

Hogg Island Boas actually can get quite large in captivity. I've seen more than one that was in excess of 6 feet, and very massive in girth, and most of the ones I've dealt with have had a more "iffy" temperament than a Common or Colombian Boa or even a true Red-Tail. There are some naturally-small Boa Constrictor morphs, like the Sonorans and the Nicaraguans, but most of these lack the really bright colors that attracts many people to the Boas, and most also tend to have rather snappy dispositions. It's hard to go wrong with a captive-bred Colombian Boa or a BCC, insofar as the right combination of good looks and stable, laid-back personality, but having dealt with aggressive specimens of both B. constrictor sp. and Morelia sp., I'd much rather deal with the former!

pitbulllady

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow squamata99, I can see why. That is one beautiful boa you have there!
My husband and I recently adopted two Boa constrictors, in ill health, and are working on getting them back in shape. Couldn't ask for more well behaved snakes, even through treatments for mites and injections.
They are not only beautiful, but I love the gentle attitude most of them exhibit as well.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If ya wanna take her on vacation, to show her Half-Dome.

Do it before the New Laws Pass.

Red-Tails are soon gonna get "Locked-up Abroad"

Beauty you got there.......you can always, always tell a healthy Boa by their skins appearance! Pretty!:worship:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do it before the New Laws Pass.

Red-Tails are soon gonna get "Locked-up Abroad"

Beauty you got there.......you can always, always tell a healthy Boa by their skins appearance! Pretty!:worship:
Not if we band together and fight these bills. Once we resolve ourselves to the AR people winning, they win. These are still just BILLS, NOT laws and it's up to us to make sure they don't become laws.

pitbulllady

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not quite following that train of thought, there. I've got Colombian Boas, which are often erronously sold in the pet trade as "Red-Tailed Boas", even though anyone can compare my snakes with Squamata's snake here and see that there is a BIG difference in appearance, and I have had true Red-Tails, Surinams, Brazilian BCC's, and Peruvians. I've also had many Coastal and Jungle Carpets, and have a male JCP that's over eight feet long now. I've had a 10-foot female Coastal, so I'm not sure I can follow the logic that a Carpet is any smaller or easier to handle than a Common Boa. My present JCP is as mellow and laid-back as a snake can be without being dead, but that's not the case with many Morelia. I've had some that were downright nasty, and they're a faster snake than a Boa Constrictor. I'm only 5'2", but I've never had a Boa I couldn't handle on my own, and I've had some big ones, but I HAVE had a few Carpets that were a real handful, that I would not have been comfortable having to deal with on my own. They can be more like Retics than Boas, if they happen to have an attitude.

Hogg Island Boas actually can get quite large in captivity. I've seen more than one that was in excess of 6 feet, and very massive in girth, and most of the ones I've dealt with have had a more "iffy" temperament than a Common or Colombian Boa or even a true Red-Tail. There are some naturally-small Boa Constrictor morphs, like the Sonorans and the Nicaraguans, but most of these lack the really bright colors that attracts many people to the Boas, and most also tend to have rather snappy dispositions. It's hard to go wrong with a captive-bred Colombian Boa or a BCC, insofar as the right combination of good looks and stable, laid-back personality, but having dealt with aggressive specimens of both B. constrictor sp. and Morelia sp., I'd much rather deal with the former!

pitbulllady
I was just going by what i read on here in the past when someone asked whats the smallest boa they could get that didnt get too huge and hog island was one of the responses...Maybe i shouldnt have went by that persons opinion i guess lol.

and as for the jungle carpets they arent all the same as you said with the personalities but i feel more comfortable with a JCP than i would a full size adult red tail...And yes pet stores do mix up the names as far as boas go but all I can say is that I had red tails because thats what the store told me they were plus I brought red tails from an online breeder so im sure those ones were red tails....But either way it goes im all set with snakes and i'll be sticking to my carpets.

But your snake/dog every animal in the world knowledge is VERY helpful so thanks much!!:clap::clap::worship::worship:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got a baby female argentine boa, and have had 10ft wild retics amongst others smaller and larger tame retics. Might just be that I dont know anything about boa body language but the retics were easy enough to handle. The boa probably around 2ft sometimes gapes and hisses during handling and strikes after putting it back down haha, cute. The thing is I cant tell if the boa is going to go into a strike position or crawl out further in some odd direction, with retics it was completely obvious. Are there things im missing in their body language to tell if theyre starting to get nervous?

squamata99

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This one has never hissed or tried to bite me.

When it was a baby.

In between then and now.