Squeaking Lump Of Peat Moss?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Today I decided to re-arrange my OBT communal enclosure. I was transferring the slings that had not been sold yet to a smaller enclosure. So I was digging with my forceps, searching for any burrowed slings, when I came across a lump of dirt. The lump of dirt was about 3 inches in diameter and pretty dry. I thought nothing of it when I first discovered it, but when I tapped it with my forceps, it squeaked! At first I thought it was imagination toying with me, but when I tapped it again it squeaked again! I tapped it even harder and it squeaked louder! At this point, in sheer amazement and excitement, I placed the lid on top of the Exoterra and started planning my next step. I have yet to dig out whatever it is that is sealed inside the lump of peat moss because I am waiting for a curious friend to come over and witness it for himself before I clear the dirt off.

My guess is that it is some type of amphibian. The peat moss bag reads "Product of Canada", so my it is most likely some type of frog/salamander/newt that is that has gone into brumation. My question is, what type of Canadian amphibian is capable of producing these sounds. The sounds are sound more reptilian than a mammalian, and are at very high frequencies.

The peat moss was purchased in November. The OBTs have been cohabiting with the creature for 3 weeks now. The enclosure was periodically flooded so it would retain moisture at the bottom of the cage.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Squeakus peatmossius- rarely encountered & absolutley deadly. We must have pix!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My money is on it being a mouse. Are the OBT's big? I'm surprised they haven't eaten whatever it is yet...

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
My money is on it being a mouse. Are the OBT's big? I'm surprised they haven't eaten whatever it is yet...
I doubt it is a mouse. It has been has been in the enclosure with the 0.5-inch OBTS for about 2 months without any type of mouse food. And besides that, it is inside of the lump of peat moss. Whatever it is, it no bigger than 2-inches.

Anyway, we will find out when my friend comes over at 6 PM. I will update at upload pics of whatever I find. I'm a expecting to find a small shriveled up frog.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's 5 o'clock for ME here on the West coast, it's much pass 6 o'clock for YOU there on the East coast!

I want to see your Loch Moss monster {D

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
lol, I am waiting too. Friend is not here yet. Pics should be up no later than 9:00 PM. Sorry for the wait.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Sorry to disappoint guys, but Squeakus peatmossius turned out to be nothing more then a squeaking lump of peat moss with nothing inside. :(

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Now I'm getting antsy... I wonder what it is....probably a small toad.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, no!!! You waited too long and it escaped!!! They're known to be quite secretive.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
:confused: how does a lump of peat moss squeek? lol im disapointed:eek:

lol. That is what I want to know. After I dispersed the lump I scoured the substrate for a good 7 minutes to see if it had moved after I poked it the first three pokes. No luck.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
this thread is full of FAIL.

lol.
lol, tell me about it. And I had my hopes up for a new critter.

Edit: Who knows, maybe something will turn up someday. :)

Last edited:

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You monster! You dissected the elusive Squeakus peatmossius? How dare you! Don't you know its an endangered species?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
You monster! You dissected the elusive Squeakus peatmossius? How dare you! Don't you know its an endangered species?
I've just learned that Squeakus peatmossius have a tenancy to evaporate into thin air after the third poke! :eek:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
*face palm* Everyone knows that three pokes to a Squeakus peatmossius causes them to evaporate!

There goes all the fun and excitement this thread COULD have had

LOL

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*bangs head into desk* ......GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! *walks away shaking head and fist*. :p

All joking aside, I was actually kind of excited to see what it was. Something tells me we all were.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
*bangs head into desk* ......GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! *walks away shaking head and fist*. :p

All joking aside, I was actually kind of excited to see what it was. Something tells me we all were.
I know I was lol I kept checking back to see any updates on what the mystery critter was :eek: