You know your in the hobby deep when you........

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally order roaches....
Yep,, I just ordered ten hissers, five male, five female from the Monster Pet Shop.

:D

The twins are absolutly thrilled, now it's on to waiting for them to get here. I'll post up pics when they do.

Any tips that can't be found in the search function?
New insights that haven't been added?

Those things are so dang cute,,, in a strange roachy kinda way....

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i cant bring myself to feed them off to my Ts. well i guess im waiting for a boost in population first.
i have 6 females and 2 males. i just recently put down an inch of peat, some cardboard toilet paper / paper towel rolls, egg cartons, and a water bowl filled with pollymers (sp?)
the added humidity the peat gives is an advantage, b/c when i had no substrate i never seen them or heard them move. now i get scared at night when theyre running all over the tank :}
i find that my hissers dont like fruit that much. they really love lettuce

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah these will be sweet "pets" till they are a good population boom,, then it's lunch time...
I have everything for them all set up, a 10 gallon with a tight lid and a mix of food like I do our superworms. minches veggies with grains, fishflakes, and I added dogfood to the mix. I will be keeping the vegies seperate of course so I don't have mold problems.
But vegies are never a problem here. I cok so many fresh ones for the kids that I always have handfuls of peels and snipps I dice up.

Thanks.
I have a feeling these suckers are just going to be FUN.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool! I wish I could have a colony of roaches.Wouldn't go over well with the parents though. Could always tell them they are beetles though. ;) Roach colonies are pretty cool to keep though. I've kept hissers but at someone elses house. :cool:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See Navaros, thats the great thing. I AM the parent. So.
When the twins say. "Mom, can we have another bug?" I'm like "Sure, that should be fun. Lets get a couple..."

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, you have some lucky kids! =) Wish my parents were more understanding of my "strange" hobbies.lol My mother used to be 100% against me getting Ts.I started talking to my dad about them, showing him cool pics etc.Now that he likes them I can keep pretty much anything I want.
;P

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i tried handling mine but they didn't liked being picked up at all. and then if i let them sit on me for a while they'd drool all over me (or something, i don't know how to describe it other than drooling). they don't like me, and i think i'm a little bit allergic to them b/c my eyes always get real itchy and red when i'd get them out. i guess i'll have to find a better bug for handling. my mantis is a lot more well mannered but she is about to buy the farm so......