Jackson Chamealeon Not Eating Well

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
Someone told me to go to this forum for help on my chamealeon. My Jackson Chamealeon isen't eating everyday. It eats at least once a week now. I've had it for a month and I've never seen it eat a cricket, only silkworms. Silkworms though are hard to find where i come from and does anyone know why or how i can fix it? It needs to eat!!

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We would need more details about your setup. Type, size, temps, all that will be more helpful.

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
its in a mesh tank with a heat lamp.we have lots of fake vines and leaves and other fake plants.Oh yea almost forgot its a baby and it cries alot.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Have you read anything like this? http://chamownersweb.net/husbandry/care_sheet_jacksons.htm

Chameleons are not for everyone, and are very husbandry specific. They are easily stressed, and stress equals death. Baby chameleons do not 'cry'. Is there fluid coming from the eyes? It sounds like an eye infection of sorts if it is, and a trip to a vet would be highly recommended.

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
water doesn't come out of its eyes but its like its mouth is open and i call it "Crying". Yes i know that they are easily stressed i barely ever touch only sometimes when i put him in a tree to climb around. Its not a tree from outside its like an inside tree ihave

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like either a respiratory infection or a lot of threats being made. A chameleon trying to fend of an attacker will often gape, hiss and strike. If it constantly sits with an open mouth, even if you are not messing with it, I'd say it is an RI. You say you've only had it month, I would not handle it at all for now, especially since it is not eating well. Make sure it is in a low traffic area of the house, and I wouldn't even spend time looking at it, just provide the care and exit the room. Also, make sure no one smokes in the house. That is a coffin nail for a chameleon.

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
it only opens it mouths when we bother it or move it.No one smokes in our house only me or my brother walk around the area. i think it was probaly hissing at me for trying to touch it i understand now thx. but i dont know why its not eating alot

Lunar

Arachnopeon
Okay first of all. How old are you, and is this your first Reptile? If it is, then it seems like you didn't read up on your new pet well enough. If it is hissing at you, then I wouldn't even touch it. Make sure it has constant moving water. They won't drink from a bowl. It's in a mesh cage make sure you mist the enclosure well, because all screen cages lose humidity extremely fast. You probably shouldn't handle the chameleon, they aren't exactly like other reptiles and like to be held, it stresses them out too badly and that could be why its not eating. If an animal is too stressed it will not eat and will die. Just leave it alone and mist it a lot, or buy a dripper from a local pet store, chameleons need moving water. I don't think I can stress that enough. When/If the chameleon settles in then try to feed it. If it won't eat crickets, try fruit flies, if not that try something else, and keep at it until it eats. Also don't worry if your chameleon isn't moving a lot. They aren't fast nor do they move much. They are best as display animals. That means no touching.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I think you should be finding a vet that deals with reptiles, and giving them a call. Im more of a snake person than lizards (have had some over the years but not for awhile) but I was a vet tech for 7 years, and if it's not eating and losing weight, I think a call to a vet is really your best bet, that way they can tell you, if they think it should be seen, or what to do at home.

There are so many factors that could be stressing it out, causing it not to eat, but better safe than sorry.

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
okay thx i haven't held for a week or2 now since we stop puting it in the tree since it turned black 1 time. we haven't touched it since we mist it every day quite thouroly and im not gonna talk about my age its private information

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
today i put it on the tree also i still haven't seen it eat but i saw droppings and i think if it has dropping it eats so idk. Its been walking around alot today so i decided to put it in a tree i might leave it up there to sleep.

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay thx i haven't held for a week or2 now since we stop puting it in the tree since it turned black 1 time. we haven't touched it since we mist it every day quite thouroly and im not gonna talk about my age its private information
The only reason he asked how old you were is because you sound very young. And not to sound rude but chamelions are NOT for young kids. You also don't sound very experienced, and chamelions are for people with lots of experience. And that means experience with high maintinence animals, not bearded dragons or leopard geckos. You said it is in a mesh cage, how much do you mist it a day? What are the Tempetures? Do you have a uvb light? How many vines are in there? There needs to be enough for it to feel "Invisible" If you can walk by and see it right away it is probably to little vines and plants. If they feel everyone can see them that can stress them out. Which will cause them to not eat.

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did something happen to the chameleon, you just stopped posting about it. I hate to see animals die due to irresponsible owners. Whats going on with it?

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
Oh i haven't been on alot been getting my P.Striata enclosure good. The Chamealeon is doing BETTER. It has lots and lots of vines. It takes me usually 30 secands. I mist it 4 or 5 times a day and yes i have UV light. The tempertures i kinda cold because its winter still.

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh i haven't been on alot been getting my P.Striata enclosure good. The Chamealeon is doing BETTER. It has lots and lots of vines. It takes me usually 30 secands. I mist it 4 or 5 times a day and yes i have UV light. The tempertures i kinda cold because its winter still.
Do you have heat lights on it?

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It should be attracted to flying food items

And roaches.......You could try Mealworms from Petco, or over internet.

A chameleons eyes, from any Sp. - Should be bright, open, and alert.

Jackson's come from Mt. regions.....and prefer high ventilation, as well as,
high humidity {climbing options - also Much misting}........They don't need to get quite as warm as other chams,
But, always need a basking area option, of atleast 85 degrees.

Hope that Helps......Fun species.......I held one today.

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also you said your getting your P.Striata cage ready. I don't mean any disrespect to you, but just like i stated earlier you sound quite young and not very experienced. And already had troubles with your chameleon, its sounds like you keep starting with very difficult species. And a P.Striata is not a good choice if you are.Again i don't know if you are or not im just warning you, you should read this bite report about them.

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/poec.html

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And roaches.......You could try Mealworms from Petco, or over internet.

A chameleons eyes, from any Sp. - Should be bright, open, and alert.

Jackson's come from Mt. regions.....and prefer high ventilation, as well as,
high humidity {climbing options - also Much misting}........They don't need to get quite as warm as other chams,
But, always need a basking area option, of atleast 85 degrees.

Hope that Helps......Fun species.......I held one today.
85 degrees would be the maximum temperature for a Jackson's (in my opinion) I have raised a few.
I keep the ones I have currently at about 70 degrees f. with a 15 watt basking bulb that is on for only a couple of hours in the morning.
The night time temp here, for them, is 60 degrees, but they can go down to 40-45 at night.
Meal worms are a terrible choice for any chameleon due to the high % of chitin. Impaction has been reported many times in chameleons that have been fed meal worms as part of their staple diet.

-Brad