man breeds hairless dogs

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
American Hairless Terriers have been around for many years, a mutation of the Toy Fox Terrier. They are just one of many hairless breeds. I have to take disagreement with the "non-allergenic" claim, though, made by the breeders of hairless dogs or cats. MOST pet-related allergies aren't to animal hair at all, but rather, to dander, which is a combination of skin oils and dried saliva. If dander is an issue, having a hairless pet won't help, and if anything, might actually make the situation worse. I'm allergic to rodents, and I've tried handling hairless rats and "skinny" pigs, but found that I was just as allergic to them as to their furry counterparts. I used to breed Chinese Crested Dogs, another hairless breed, and had to take back two hairless puppies I'd sold because one of the owners(or their kids)was allergic to the little dogs.
On the other hand, if brushing and clipping a dog isn't your "thing"(and it certainly isn't mine) and vacuuming up pet hair daily doesn't sound like your idea of a good time, a hairless dog can be quite beneficial! Just keep in mind that they DO need grooming, since their skin produces more oils than most animals, so they need frequent baths and often are prone to acne, like a teenager.

pitbulllady

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Really, did people think this was something new? lol

Hairless breeds, like Peruvian Inca dogs and Chinese cresteds (which also come in a "powderpuff" version with a full coat), have been around for quite some time!

They need lotions and sunblock, and I personally find them more of a hassle than a coated breed.