Anybody ever had a sand boa ?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I was offered a pair of them in a trade , but I've never owned one nor do I know much about them . Anybody own one or have any opinions on them . I think that they are the coolest looking little snakes . Anybody out there that can give the low down on housing , feeding , substrate , temp/humidity , etc. will be most appreciated . Thanks in advance . :D

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
10 gallon is good for the life of these small guys. Fuzzy or hopper is the largest mouse they will usually take, peat/sand mix is a good substrate, warm and dry

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my second year breeding these guys.

Males - 10 gallon size tank is all you need. Fuzzy/hoppers/rat pinks for food. Males don't need as much food, so don't be surprised when they off feed for weeks, especially during the breeding season. Substrate: aspen. Sand is rarely recommended because of the risk of impaction.

Females - 15 gallon/20 gallon long size tank. Food: hoppers/small mice.

Temperature: UTH with a dimmer switch on one side of the tank.

Water: small dish should be provided, though you will rarely, if ever, see them use it.

Very undemanding snakes. A great specie to introduction someone into the world of keeping boas.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive been wondering the same im going to grab one in about 3 weeks, so iwas going to post a thread about, but i need not to now.
are they a fun snake to keep?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I've never kept these snakes. I've heard nothing but things about them. Hardy, and obviously very beautiful. Hopefully somebody can chime in with more info. I'm sure there are numerous caresheets on the web, but just make sure they come from a reputable source.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We have a few, and they are fun snakes to keep. Beware, you will never see them out during the day; they stay hidden under the substrate for the most part. We use shredded aspen for bedding, about two to three inches of it.

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are nice little snakes, I keep a couple pairs of them. As far as care they only need the basics. I don't provide mine with a hide because they just dig into the aspen i give them. Just make sure you check thier water bowl daily as they often enjoy covering it with the substrate.