Now I am stumped!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A friend in Hawaii sent me this photo with the name "toomanyaardvarks.jpg," but those aren't aardvarks. (Click the thumbnail for a larger image.)

This is an aardvark:

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0091+3183+0918+0073

I thought I had a pretty good handle on "Life on Earth," but I'm stumped. I don't remember ever seeing anything like these critters before. They look a little like wolverines or badgers, but those don't hunt in packs and if any one of them showed up in the back yard that cat in the lower right corner would be dead meat ASAP!

Can any of you ID these critters?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Eurasian/European badgers are one of the few species of mestelids to exhibit any form of social interaction at all. they live in territorial groups called clans (or social groups), which are made up of about 15 members, headed by a dominant male and female.

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. That isn't something I would want to walk out my backdoor into. I am surprised they have not killed the cat in the picture.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Badgers!

They are Not known to be the friendliest animals..........LOL

I didn't realize that they roam peoples back yards like raccoons, scavaging.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow. That isn't something I would want to walk out my backdoor into. I am surprised they have not killed the cat in the picture.
the cat looks fake. the a statue..

Crazy pic though!

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those guys are definatley not friendly, last summer i was herping in the Wasatch mountains in Utah and came across one of these. I was walking on a trail and one of them came running down the trail stopped about 15 feet in front of me. And me being me(i can do verry dumb unsafe things with animals and some other stuff) i tried to get a little closer. Got about 7ish feet away from it and it started growl and like hiss. And started sticking its back upp in the air. So i kinda backed away slowly then ran. haha

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
good! personally, i think the euro badgers look cooler than the american badgers, but that's just a preference ;)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
They are obviously looking for mushrooms. But wait, what's that.....

ARRGH! A Snake! A snaaake... a snaaaaake! A snaaake! OooooOoh, it's a snaaaake...

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are obviously looking for mushrooms. But wait, what's that.....

ARRGH! A Snake! A snaaake... a snaaaaake! A snaaake! OooooOoh, it's a snaaaake...
I LOLed.

But then again, when don't I with your posts?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That badgerbadgerbadger site drives me nuts...

Btw, Stan, was that picture actually taken in Hawaii? I wasn't aware there were badgers there.

--Joe

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's all kinds of stuff in Hawaii that shouldn't be there, so you never know.