The dangers of keeping large snakes

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is impossible for snakes today to eat humans. Snakes swallow headfirst, and the shoulders would be very difficult for a snake to fit it's jaws around.

That said, it's still dangerous to keep large snakes because they can easily suffocate you

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The "danger" of keeping large pythons/boas is so ridiculously overblown, and this thread is doing absolutely nothing to fix it. It's exactly the same as keeping tarantulas, just don't be an idiot and you will be FINE.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The "danger" of keeping large pythons/boas is so ridiculously overblown, and this thread is doing absolutely nothing to fix it. It's exactly the same as keeping tarantulas, just don't be an idiot and you will be FINE.
Well I sure wish I could keep a Burmese python in a KK :}

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
really?

because seems this snake sure did get that boy into his stomache.:rolleyes:

View attachment 82531
Codykrr, you DO know that this very popular photograph has already been debunked as an internet HOAX, do you not? Every herpetologist with an ounce of knowledge of large snakes has come out and stated that this is a hoax, based on several factors, not the least of which the snake shown in the series of photos leading up to this one aren't EVEN THE SAME SPECIES, and aren't even found on the same continent! Also, the angle of the snake's ribs in the photo indicate that for the human to have been in the snake's digestive tract, the snake would have had to swallow the man FEET FIRST, and THAT, dude, is an impossibility for sure! Furthermore, anyone with an iota of Photoshop know-how will immediately recognize a PS job here, and a lousy, amateurish one at that.

Like jayfbe said, the dangers of keeping large constrictors is horribly overblown, just like the dangers of keeping arachnids. In 30 years, there have only been 12 cases of large snakes killing humans in the US, and that includes two involving young children which are highly suspect, including the latest in Florida, from this past summer. In both of these, the facts just don't add up to "snake", but to "parent" as the cause of death. It's just so much easier for the public to believe in killer snakes than to believe a parent would off their kid or, in the case of the toddler in Florida, that a crack-head would murder his girl-friend-of-the-week's baby. You actually have a greater chance of being eaten by a shark in a body of FRESH water in North America than of being killed by a constrictor snake. Of course, the HSUS and its supporters, and those who are in favor of the two Federal bills to ban the import, sale, trade, transport and breeding of large constrictors plus Boas just LOVE photos like the one you fell for, since these seem to bolster their claims that we are all in grave danger from the invasion of giant killer snakes unless our Big Brother does something to save us all now.

pitbulllady

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I meant by my comment, was that the dangers are relatively similar. Keeping a pokie, I consider, more dangerous than a Burm.
i know i just felt like messing with you.

heck i'd rather handle a burm or retic over a Psalmopoeus anyday

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll Hold any Large Retic, Anaconda - Want Pics?

But, HAMSTERS......................Forget IT!!!!:eek:

Those little bastards, man - No Way {D Brave 5 year olds Out there - LOL

- J

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i didnt know this was hoax...when searching i found this and a few others. never mentions in any of the dozen sites featuring this set of pics was a hoax. so my appologies.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i didnt know this was hoax...when searching i found this and a few others. never mentions in any of the dozen sites featuring this set of pics was a hoax. so my appologies.
Deffinetly can understand why you thought that at first. Haha so did i when you first posted the pic.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Funny how people get freaked out by big snakes in captivity. There are way more deaths of children drowning, and countless dog attacks each year.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm lucky I still have fingers.....evil little dwarf hamster..
My little panda hamster is evil too {D and yet my family is terrified that I have Ball pythons around my kids!!

The hamster would bite them way before the snakes would :wall:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think there has been at least one confirmed and documented report of a very large reticulated python killing and eating a 14-year-old boy in Indonesia....

Last edited:

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well said! So long as you keep these animals in a responsible manner and with a proper amount of space and common sense you won't have a problem. Every animal has its natural wild instinct ... that cannot be changed no matter how "tame" a pet is. The problem comes when their keepers ignore signs of aggitation, hunger, or defensive behavior, which seems to be the root cause of the bad reps for both the animals and our hobbies.

A little respect and common sense go a long way and can ultimately lead to an incredibly fulfilling experience in pet ownership ... I'll stand by that till the day I die.