new puppy

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok so ive never been much for having inside dogs. but i absolutly fell in love with this one!

she is a 9 week old brendal, wiener dog. short haired.

wife got her for me because she wanted a dog forever and i said only if it was a weiner dog. she hates weiner dogs but fell in love with this one from the first sight.

we havent named her yet(still thinking of a name) but anyway her she is.

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
Oh wow what a cutie! I recommend the name Chloe. It seems to suit her. :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
tiggy, you name has officially stuck! thanks for the recomendation.

anyway , does anyone have any advise for a first time dog owner?

like how to potty train them, being alone for 8 hours a day.

we went and bought her a pet taxi so she isnt into everything while we are gone.
im wondering if a harness or a collar is best.

right now we have her on soft beniful. that ok?

sorry im just full of questions. this is my first dog on my own. so all help or advice is appreciated.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

we went and bought her a pet taxi so she isnt into everything while we are gone.

sorry im just full of questions. this is my first dog on my own. so all help or advice is appreciated.
Let her outside often. Ask her if she wants to go pee. She'll learn the word and jump to the door every time you say it. Tell her she's a good girl when she does. You can scold her when she does it in the house.
I don't keep my dogs in a pet carrier when I leave and they do fine. Depends on the individual.
You can walk her on a collar. Just never tie her collar to anything and leave her alone. Dogs hang themselves that way.
I don't know the brand Beneful so can't help you there. Just monitor her stool. If it seems too runny, change it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats!

By the way, the colour is "brindle" (sorry, pet peeve lol)

Any brand of dog food you can buy at a grocery store is crap, and Beneful is as well.
The better brands, of course will be more expensive. But brands like Diamond and Kirkland (Costco) are good foods for a decent price (around $20 for a 40lb bag)

For potty training... leaving her alone for 8 hours a day, you WILL have accidents. I would recommend an x-pen in the kitchen with pee pads if you can't get someone to come let her out during the day.
At 9 weeks old, she can hold her pee for a maximum of 2 and a half hours.
Leaving her in a crate is a good idea when she is older, but right now she'll probably just end up peeing in it.
Make sure you leave her with appropriate toys during the day - NO rawhide or meat bones!
Things like a kong filled cheese or peanut butter or biscuits, or solid rubber toys. You can also leave stuffy toys with her, if you don't mind them getting chewed up - just nothing with plastic eyes/nose that she could chew off.

No scolding if she pees in the house, unless you catch her in the act.. then you simply say, "NO! Outside!" and take her outside to finish. Always, always, always praise when she potties outside!
When you are home with her, take her out every hour, after she eats/drinks, after she plays, and RIGHT after she wakes up. If she has any accidents in the house when you are home - it's YOUR fault, for not letting her out often enough. When you do take her outside to potty, take her out on a leash and don't let her play until she potties. Once she potties, take her off leash and let her play for a bit... that way she learns that going potty outside is good and she is rewarded for it.
NEVER take a dog back to a place that you've later found they pottied in and rub their nose in it... they don't understand what you're doing.

You can use a harness for a doxie (your dog's breed ;) )... they can sometimes slip out of collars, and you will always want to keep a tight hand on the lead. These dogs were originally bred for hunting! Start by putting the collar/harness on her and just letting her walk around the house in it. The first time you put a leash on her, have yummy treats or a cool toy and coax her along. If she feels any tension, she may freak out... don't cuddle her! Just ignore it, maybe give her some slack, and try to get her attention with the toy or food.

I could go on and on... but I think that covers what you asked :)

She's adorable! :) My first dog was a doxie.. I had her for 17 years, before she passed away naturally

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Dachshunds are very social and hate being away from their owners so don't be surprised if she tears up whatever you leave in her crate while you are gone.

Enjoy her wieners are awesome dogs. I have a long haired brindle myself :)

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jairi pretty much covered everything. all I have to see is that I would personally reccomend a harness over a collar just because of how prown Dachshunds are to back problems. I work at a pet clinic and its basically a mandatory rule for us to make an X over the shoulders of a dachshunds with two leashes instead of just looping them around then neck.

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
Awe I'm glad you liked the name! :D

Everyone here has given pretty sound advice. My own two cents worth would be to use a halter rather than just a collar for walks, and to leave the television or a radio on whenever you're going to be out of the house for extended periods. That's what we do with our son (a 3 year old maltipoo) and it seems to relieve some of his lonliness when we're at work.

And yeah, if she will be spending time alone throughout the day, potty training will be hit and miss for a while I'm afraid. I recommend pee pads for when everyone is out. Just make sure the pads are kept in the same general location and that she gets lots of praise when she decides to use them.

And make sure you give her TONS of kisses and hugs when you get home, of course. ;)

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use benifull, and my dog is perfectly healthy (and strong as hell for a yorkie). I don't know what is so "special" about those other kinds. :confused:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some dogs do really good on "crap" foods, and others don't.

The number one ingredient in "store" brands, is corn. Which is a filler, and does nothing nutritionally for a dog.

The "other" brands are corn, soy, and wheat free - which I have to feed, because of allergies.

When choosing a brand of dog food, you want to choose a brand whose first three ingredients (atleast) are meat products and not corn.

With a dog like a doxie, who can have structural issues with the spine and legs... I would definitely recommend a food that isn't based on a filler like corn.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok so a little update.

today was her first day home alone. and she did great!

no accidents in her pin. and no whining all night. she is a very good girl. as soon as my wifecame home she imidiately went to the door to go out. but she hates the snow, so it was quick pee and back into the house in her blanket. lol

one thing i did notice tonight when i took her out was her poop seems kinda hard. not the typical stool. what can be done about that?

and we have 7 inches of snow right now, so i havent got her a harness or a lease yet. but will soon.

she is a very laided back dog. she doesn(or hasnt yet) chewed anything up but acouple raw hide bones. (no i didnt let her eat the small pieces) dont want her choking.

anyway i think the lady who had her before us did most of the potty training, because she has only had one slip so far and i think thats because she was nervous/excited.

anyway sorry for rambling on and on, im just excited myself.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Her poop is really hard, because of the rawhide bones. They can cause blockages and internal damage.. I wouldn't feed them at all.

Glad to hear she is doing well! Post more pictures of her, please :D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
her poop is not "really" hard. just about like....cat poop.

also this could not be caused by the raw hide bones because that wasyesterday which at the time had not recieved any raw hide till today.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jairi pretty much covered everything. all I have to see is that I would personally reccomend a harness over a collar just because of how prown Dachshunds are to back problems. I work at a pet clinic and its basically a mandatory rule for us to make an X over the shoulders of a dachshunds with two leashes instead of just looping them around then neck.
Good points. We have had them for years and they seem to be very prone to back problems.I suggest keeping them off of stairs also.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i wouldn't worry about hard poop too much, as long as she's not straining to poop. i have 2 chihuahuas and one poops normal while the other poops rocks... same diet, just different dogs.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So i figured id post a picture of Chloe again. she has been a very good girl so far. here she is poking her head into my T room while i was taking some pictures, so i snapped one of her.

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cody,

Jairi covered most everything pretty well. Nobody mentioned the best way to prevent her from having back problems. Do not allow her to get in the habit of jumping on, and down from furniture. This is the #1 problem that causes this breeds back problems. If your going to allow her on furniture, pick her up and set her down. You can also buy doggy stairs.

I also stress the importance of choosing a good food. No store bought crap. Nutro, Kirkland, Eukanuba, Natures Recipe are all good ones. If your willing to go the extra mile, I would suggest staying away from ANY store bought foods. I personally use the BARF (not like it sounds, do some research) diet on all of my dogs. It actually is cheaper, and far healthier if you do it correctly. The BARF diet all but eliminates the need for vacinations (except rabies), and over the life of the dog you will notice a substancially reduced overall vet cost. It's also nice that my dogs have a bowell movement everyother day, and even it is very small. You also can simplify the BARF diet if you choose to try it. A lot of the websites go over the top on this IMO.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
smitty,

thanks for the reply. i guess i should have followed up.

we switched her to nutro puppy food(the light blue tealish colored bag) great stuff!

As for her back, she is not allowed on ANY furniture(our couch was waaay to expensive to let any animal, let alone some people on) id hate for her back to go out, so we have talked with her vet about the proper precautions to prevent any problems.

this is my first dog since moving out of my parents house, and i am going to do it right.

one problem i am having though, is she keeps chewing off her harness. i think its a puppy thing, but i cant afford to buy a 20 dollar harness every 4 days. she chews the part that goes around her waist or stomach. the vet and the people we got her from said to not use a collar as it can lead to neck injuries from jerking away from the leash to hard.

Anyway, she is a sweetie and im glad to say she is now a part of our family.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good luck

i have three dogs and all you need alot of common sense and use alot of logic because they will get into ANYTHING. even if you think they wont be able to. THEY WILL! lol. idk if this goes for all small dogs but i found that my chihuaha was the hardest to train out of him my cokapoo and a big mut from the shelter. it will probably be very frustrating somtimes. my newest dog (chihuaha) makes the biggggggeeessst messes! but dogs are awesome and you will love it (you somtimes even have to laugh at the messes they make)

edit: o so you've had a dog befor so you probably know what they can do!:D