Axolotl!

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Initially I wanted to post this in the Canada sub forum, but I thought that might not be the best idea because I'm pretty sure that forum is for tarantula's only.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here knew where I could acquire an axolotl (either from a breeder or pet store)? I know there are places in the USA where they can be purchased, but none of those places ship to Canada from what I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know Tarantulainc.com has some. Maybe not right now but they do get them in. Here in colorado there are tons of them at expos!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been interested in those for years. If I finally do it, I'm going to do the best I can to be confident I buy Ambystoma Mexicanum, a true axolotl. Otherwise, it will likely be a much more common species of Tiger salamander larva:wall:. There are two more wild populations of Tiger salamanders I know of in the US that are sometimes referred to as axolotls since the adults are often neotenic, I'd love to have those too but they aren't available, pretty protected I think.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see them for sale regularly in the classifieds section at kingsnake.com.

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
Awesome guys! Thanks for all the great leads. I shall check them out!

:)

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
Well, I know they show up in pet stores across the USA, so I imagine many if not all of those specimens would have been captive bred due to the fact that they are endangered in their native Mexico.

Any axolotl I own would most definately be captive bred!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
are they ussually captive bred?
Most definitely. These are rare even in their native range(2 "lakes") near Mexico City. They're around- I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a juvenile/$40 for an adult. Usually people that breed them can't get rid of them fast enough.

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most definitely. These are rare even in their native range(2 "lakes") near Mexico City. They're around- I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a juvenile/$40 for an adult. Usually people that breed them can't get rid of them fast enough.
Yup.
There is a guy here who has hundreds. They breed like crazy ... he was selling them at a recent reptile expo in Denver for $5.

-Brad