I hate to be Nosey but....

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm so damn cute too. This is one of my new favorite snake species...here's my male.

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very Nice....:D

is he feeding on rodents? I love the asian vine snake family but there all so hard to get to feed on rodents.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually this isn't in the Asian Vine snake family...it's a Rhino Rat Snake (Rhyncophis) and is closer related to American Rat Snakes.

They are a bit hard to start on rodents but luckily mine take thawed fuzzies with insane appetites. I have a hatchling that feeds on guppies and once he's big enough to take pinks I'll switch him over...

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pretty neat. They look more intimidating than they are. Apparently they're not very tempermental and aren't too difficult to keep from what I've heard.

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
Awe! *melts* It almost looks like the little guy has a smile on his face!

SooooOOoooOOOO cute!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I want to kiss his little nose... too cute!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you say guppies do you mean fish? Very nice snake.
Yes, they are really tiny when babies and they don't usually start on pinks as they are so small. Newborns readily take guppy fish or rosey reds and then eventually become large enough to take pinky mice.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
What a neat snake! I've never seen one before, very cute :)

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No one knows. Most assume it breaks up the outline of the snake as it hunts in the trees (they are arboreal). They are incredibly hard to spot even in the cage.

A friend of mine has sent deceased specimens to to a pathologist for a detailed review and really founf nothing but fat tissue. I guess it remains to be seen.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd agree on the breaking up of the outline.

Another question would be why this apparent camouflage would be sexually dimorphic in Langaha. Have snakes been recorded to use visual cues for mating?
Do males and females hunt in different places and so each camouflage works best there? It seems rainforests and Madagascar in particular produce incredibly cryptic animals.(I suspect in madagascar the presence of lots of visual predators would push the selection for crypsis to a higher level).

Oh, and what a cool snake! I wish I could afford one of these. Might consider Ahaetulla once I have more space but heating seems like it could be a bit pricey.