Ackie vs. beardie

• Acanthurus Monitor

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Bearded Dragon

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

tiger cowboy

Arachnopeon
Ok for a first lizard: ackie monitors or beardies? I'm not gonna be able to get one for a while but hey can't start learning to early

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally, I would chose an Ackie, but that's because I adore monitors. A bearded dragon is going to be a lot cheaper and easier to tame though.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beardies will bore you in a short time. Ackies are always entertaining because they're so intelligent and active. Both are easy to keep, ackies ftw because they're intelligent enough to have personalities.

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beardies come in more colors but I personally would go with a monitor first.

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would go with a Ackie,There really fun to watch eat,and you dont have to worry about the Pain of keeping up with Fresh Veggie's every now and then,like you would a Beardie.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ackies are awesome!

They require a hotter basking area, that some seem Not to realize.

But they are far more Exotic I feel......They eat a larger and more protein rich diet, that I enjoy......like scrambled eggs and lightly cooked ground turkey.

And ofcourse cost a little more......$125 - $200+ for color phases like Hi-reds.

- Jason

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried to keep bearded dragons but had horrible luck. I had two die on me both within a year after I bought them. My vet couldn't figure out why. I spent about 700 on vet bills for both. I even took my setup to the vets office so she could look at it. It was a custom built 4x2x2 enclosure which was a real hassle. No one can say I didn't try, but we just couldn't figure it out. I have a feeling I was doing something wrong but the vet, breeders couldn't figure out what it was. The dragons were from different breeders in different parts of the country. Needless to say, I gave up on them. I didn't want to kill another one. I am not saying you will have the same luck. I just thought I would throw it out there to give the other side of the coin. Good luck...